JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Newest update has DESTROYED battery life!

(Topic created: 01-24-2021 05:44 PM)
ProfessorC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

My Galaxy S20 FE (on T-Mobile/Sprint) just received an OTA update (which said it was only One UI). Current About says
One UI: 3.0

Android: 11

Kernel: 4.19.113-20464283

Before the update, I was getting nearly a day-and-a-half on a full battery charge.

Now, after the update, I'm getting just over half-a-day.

The update has cut my battery life in 1/3rd.

How do I roll back to the previous version. This is ridiculous. I certainly don't want this update if it effects my battery life like this.

12 Replies
Options
Galaxy S20
Go Settings >Battery and Device Care >touch Battery. Several choices there.
ProfessorC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Done that.
Also wiped tha cache partition like old school (didn't even think that was a thing anymore), and "repaired apps". Also "cleaned"/optimized memory. No "runaway" background apps are reported.

The battery page says "A full charge will last about: 1d 6h"... but as I've sat here the percentage has gone down 10% in the last hour. No way it's going to last as long as it says. Thing is, that's about as long as it would last before the update.

userFkfiv2IuXr
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I have also sat and literally watched the life drain out of my phone VERY fast!! Even when plugged into a computer it STILL looses more charge than it gains. 

Very annoying!! It makes my phone unusable. 

Solution
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello, We understand the concern of the battery draining quickly.

Some things that can help with Battery optimization, if you're just having a battery draining issue, is the following:

Note: The battery adaptive feature may cause the battery to drain a little faster at first until the phone adapts to your usage, and learns how you're operating, the charge will be stored and used in different manners based on how you use your phone. This sometimes can take a few weeks for it to learn the habits and customize itself to make sure you have the best performance and lasting battery. 

Optimize Apps:https://www.samsung.com/us/support/galaxy-battery/optimization/ 

If you're receiving an overheating message check out the following link:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00076952/ 

If you've tried troubleshooting above, when it comes to problems overheating or exorbitant drain to the battery, repairs would be recommended. You can use the following link to find a list of service centers in the U.S. that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

For international customers, please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

I seem to recall I was getting better battery life before the update, but I haven't monitored it closely... If you use Medium Power Saver, that of course helps....  hopefully things imtesrprove some with further updates.... luckily these phones' batteries  go from zero to full, in about an hour.... much better charge time than the old days! 

0 Likes
ProfessorC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

If it's cut my battery life in a 1/3rd, it doesn't matter how fast I can recharge, it's made the phone nearly useless. Also, charging times are only that fast when using the fast charge wall wart. If you're out-and-about, and trying to charge off of car-charger, it's not going to do much better than several hours.

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
I understand you're angry, and I would be too!!! If I use my car charger, it might take closer to 2 hours to charge.

although these are probably things you do not want to do since you spent a lot of money for your phone as did all of us, these measures can save your battery...

change refresh rate from 120 to 60 GHz

use power save mode most all of the time...

in fact, look up Bixby routines on youtube. this is one of the best kept secrets about using the s20 phones. you will understand why it's such a good tool once you watch a video or two about it

I understand that you might not be too excited about limiting your phones in the fashions mentioned above, but these measures will save your battery.
ProfessorC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Not only am I not "excited about limiting my phone", but that's a ridiculous thing to even suggest.

My battery life was just fine ("GREAT". even) before the update. Now it is not. I shouldn't have to limit my phone just to try to get my battery life back to what it was two days ago.

I can understand taking those measures if I had just purchased the phone, and was unfamiliar with how it operated, and I was just looking for ways to increase battery life.

But I've been living with and using this phone for 3 months or more, now, and have been managing my battery life just fine in that time. To see this drastic a cut, from a single OTA update, points to the update being faulty not my battery management prowess. I should be able to use my phone, just as I had the 3 months prior, and expect the same battery life that I enjoyed during that time.

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

I've probably been with Anroid/Samsung a few years more than you... not that that matters.  I rembember when Gingerbread OS was put on my Android Phone (Droid???) and it sucked.... It made a geat phone lousy... What did I do?  I rooted my phone to get around all that garbage....  You do what you have to do...

Believe me, this is NOT the first time an OS update has messed a phone up, and it will not be the last time! -  So, what does one do??? One looks for ways to make it better (livable) unitl a new fix comes out... And a fix WILL come out... but in the meantime you can either accept the lousy results you're getting, or do something different.

I doubt anyone (Verizon/Samsung) is going to give you a refund on your phone purchase...  -  So, you can consider rooting your phone which probably isn't too hard to do, or you can do some of the measures I mentioned above... Or, or course, you can do nothing and stick with the results you are currently getting..... - - And believe me, I know what you're going through.... we all are experiencing the same thing!   And unfortunately comments here in this forum are not looked at by Samung's design, software,  or manfufacturing dept....   - - would be great if they were, but they are not.