JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No Wi-Fi unlocked Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G

(Topic created: 08-29-2020 06:00 AM)
userAcWVKh5uJX
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I purchased an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S20 + 5G from samsung website. I am a client of At&T company. After starting the phone, it turns out that I do not have WiFi function. After contacting tech support I find out that my phone with the SM-G986U1 model won't get wifi calling. I don't understand why. Can someone explain this situation to me.
Thank you.

7 Replies
andyy98
Halo
Options
Galaxy S20
it's something with not being a carrier phone, since you bought a unlocked device. Instead of an AT&T S20. your sim will work the same just the carrier tends to add extra software extensions to the phone before consumers buy it
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

It is because AT&T does not enable those features on unlocked phones. 

userAcWVKh5uJX
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you for your answer.

I tested this phone on sim card from T-mobile. Everything is ok, WiFi calling function is showing and I can use it. Why at AT&T my phone can not get WiFi function. It is not understandable to me.

If you know why please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

@userAcWVKh5uJX You will need to discuss with AT&T. They have decided not to enable those features on unlocked devices. 

userAcWVKh5uJX
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you.

I spent a few hours talking to customer service and tech service and got the answer that this phone will not be a WiFi e-mail, without explaining why. They probably want to buy phones from them. Because for me this function is very necessary, because I work four days a week, in a place where there is no tower and no signal. And I have no contact whatsoever.
That's why I'm considering switching to T-Mobile after more than 20 years of being a customer at AT&T.

Thank you.

LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

@userAcWVKh5uJX wrote:

Thank you.

I spent a few hours talking to customer service and tech service and got the answer that this phone will not be a WiFi e-mail, without explaining why. ...

Not sure why they said that. Email is completely different than SMS and Email works over Wifi just like your browser.

SMS and voice over Wifi is the only thing that won't work because AT&T doesn't support it on unlocked devices. 

userJAOgABnO8Q
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

what you need is SM-986U (without the 1 at end) to get wifi calling.  The model U is sold by ATT and the model U1 is from samsung direct. 

Yes, the problem is with ATT and not Samsung.