Original topic:

Notes App won't open after update on S20

(Topic created: 01-12-2023 07:18 AM)
cincymagic
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi.

I am completely unable to open the Notes app on my S20 since the last system update. I have tried all the solutions I have found on the various forums to try and fix it including: restarting the phone, clearing system cache from safe mode, and allowing all permissions for the app and the companion app the "Notes Add-ons." Unfortunately, I cannot select to "convert" my old notes as some have suggested because the app won't open to allow this option.

I am at a loss. I have years of important notes I do not want to lose.

If I uninstall and reinstall the app will I lose my notes?

Is there a way to get to the notes via filemanager on my Mac so i can import them and back them up?

Is there anything else I can try?

5 Replies
Puti
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
Have you tried updating the app through the galaxy store? I have an s20 and my notes work just fine. Do you have your info backed up?
0 Likes
cincymagic
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey Puti.

When I go to the app store, there does not seem to be any option to update, only to "open" or "uninstall."

Do you know if I uninstall and then reinstall if all my old notes will be deleted?

Regarding back-up, I had set google to back up all of my apps which I thought would backup the notes, but I do not see them. Searching for the notes by name shows nothing either.  😞

0 Likes
Puti
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
The backup would be made through your Samsung account
0 Likes
cincymagic
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Unable to locate any note backups through Samsung Account (I see backed up pics, docs, etc but no notes). App started opening today (progress!) but crashes when I try to use it. It says I have 73 notes but will only show 10. If I try to scroll or interact with it, the app crashes.

0 Likes
Solution
cincymagic
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Ok! I learned how to fix this - by reading through a LOT of one star reviews on the app store and finally finding the solution. Here it is: a hidden update.

The app needs to be updated. Unfortunately Samsung does not make this easy or obvious! I never saw any option to update, no matter how hard I looked. I went to the app store several times and that was never an option for me. Never saw it on my phone either, no matter how hard I looked. Here is what you have to do: go to the notes app icon and hold it. When the box pops up, click the little "i" button for more info. From that page, click on "Options." This doesn't look like a button, it looks like the title for the page! This is what I was missing! Once you click that, you will see the option to update and it will take you right to the app store to do so. Once updated, all your notes should re-appear! I have no idea why Samsung made this so difficult! Hope this helps someone!