Original topic:

Notification Sounds Muted Intermittently

(Topic created on: 3/15/21 12:04 AM)
spackmanbr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I am having an issue on the S20+ 5G where notification sounds are on and working fine, and then suddenly no notification sounds will be played for any app. If per-app settings have vibration on, the notification will still vibrate. A temporary fix is to go into sounds settings and select a ring tone or notification sound, even if it is the same one already selected. Because this temporarily fixes the issue, it is clear that this is not due to user error. Either there is a system-wide issue or a misbehaving app.

Bug reports via the Samsung app are getting me nowhere. They just respond with generic responses or tell me that my issue is unclear and the bug reports don't show anything. Most recently they stated that the issue has been forwarded to the development team again, but the last time this happened, they responded that the bug reports did not show the issue.

I have tried clearing system cache and resetting all system settings with no luck.

Has anybody else experienced this? Please do not respond with notification settings suggestions and troubleshooting. This occurs randomly within minutes of notifications working correctly and is not due to incorrect settings.
10 Replies
Maddog2338
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
does this phone have an "auto connect" for Bluetooth? I know someone that had this very issue and their phone was connecting automatically to their ear buds.
spackmanbr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good thought. I spent half the day yesterday with bluetooth disabled after clearing cache and resetting settings but had no luck.
userLmZBErLN44
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I have the same issue on s21+ Samsung tech remoted into my phone but could find nothing wrong. I have seen others ask the same question so I think there is a software issue?
0 Likes
spackmanbr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Dang. Sorry to hear that.

Yes. I definitely think this is an OS or a Samsung system app issue. Does selecting a notification or ringtone temporarily fix it for you too?

I have given up. I decided to take a loss and ordered a Pixel 5 last week. A long time ago I swore off Samsung phones, but I figured I would give them another chance. This just isn't worth it to me.

Good luck. I'll keep trying to find a solution while I still have the phone.
userLmZBErLN44
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
thanks! if I restart the phone I have sounds for a bit. then they go away again
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

Do you experience these symptoms with all apps or specific apps?

Do you experience these symptoms if you test your device in safe mode? If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Samsung_t12CchH
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

I am having this issue on a Galaxy S10 I have owned for well over a year.  I purposely never update it because every update makes something else worse. It's restarted every morning automatically to avoid software issues. I haven't changed any settings! It just started muting my notifications volume on it's own! I purposely don't mess with the phone because I don't want this stuff to happen. PURPOSELY don't update it or make any changes and still this now after a year of being a decent phone. I was told in another thread of this, because many people are having this issue, that it was the bixby routines. I purposely don't update bixby either unless Samsung did that behind my back. 

This is really upsetting as I have used the same 2 bixby routines for well over a year, really rely on them, and have not changed them, and have purposely not updated the phone to avoid buggy updates. If a phone keeps running the same working software and is restarted every morning, how is it suddenly acting up like this! 

There are only other volume settings in the bixby routine settings, which is ridiculous. Why would bixby not be allowed to change your notification volume. That seems like the most important thing. When I open this screen and hit the volume down and change it manually that way it's only changing the current volume. I don't think it's actually changing the settings in the routine. This has never been an issue on my S10 before and it is running the same routines and same settings and same update level because I purposely won't update it so that it changes things on me. I am very upset that I never change anything on this phone and it still messes itself up and makes life harder! This alarm is needed for work and it usually doesn't work anymore! Very disappointed in Samsung as this is my first Android phone after 10 years of Apple and never had alarm issues with them! Will have to get my husband to set the alarm on his iPhone because that always works as it's suppose to. Really regretting my decision to switch. 

Screenshot_20210330-111804_Bixby Routines.jpg

0 Likes
Fatenyl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm having the same issue with my s21. sometimes the icon badge won't even show up. but when i open an app that sent a notification the badge will apear
userWSzHSo83gV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same here. New Galaxy S21 text and other notifications only vibrate and show no pop up. Frustrating!!

0 Likes