Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

October 5G Update Causes Mobile Data to No Longer Work

I have a Samsung S20 Ultra (verizon)
One Ui: 2.5
Android Version: 10
Most recent update: G988USQU1BTJ1

The issue i am having is now since the above update occured i am starting to have "5G" display as my connection icon when using mobile data rather than 4gLTE.

The instant i walk outdoors my phone now tries to connect to 5g which immediately disconnects my mobile data.  I do have text/call capabilities but no connection at all to mobile data.

I have attempted the following troubleshooting activities with no success:
1: Hard reset (holding power+volume down for 10 seconds and holding until the Samsung Screen reappears upon restart)

2: Network reset

3: Turned off phone and removed sim card then put sim card back in 

4: Tried all of the Network modes available: Global, LTE/CDMAa and LTE/GSM/UMTS (this will sometimes temporarily reconnect me to 4gLTE for 30 seconds before going back to 5g and disconnecting again.

5: Contacted both verizon and Samsung customer care - The only solution was to factory reset and not install system updates

Please let me know if there is any way to force my phone to only connect to 4gLTE (i feel that the key may be connecting manually within network mode, but i do not know)

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: October 5G Update Causes Mobile Data to No Longer Work

Go to settings,  Connections,  Mobile networks, Network Mode, LTE/3G/2G

That will force it to only be able to connect using those. I'm having a similar issue but some of my apps work and some don't. Ones that connect to a server don't work wont connect using mobile data but will connect using WiFi.  If I use a VPN I can connect using mobile data but get lots of lag.... maybe you have some suggestions. I've tried all the same things you have tried

Highlighted
Astronaut

it's up to carriers to give option to select all, 4g and below, 3g and 2g,,,, my tmobile gives some options
Highlighted
Constellation

Yeah, i have Verizon and from further research i found that they removed the option to choose an older network.  They have 3 options available and even though they say they are for old networks (lte  cdma etc) they all still connect to 5g.

This issue seems to be across all carriers though and its unfortunate that i spent $1300 on a phone that i can only utilize properly at home. 

This should be the top priority for samsung to fix, but i guess they have determined that a population of their devices being "bricked" is ok with them.