JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

OneUI update broke BUTTON_MODE on controllers

(Topic created on: 10/13/20 5:02 PM)
SuttonX
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Latest OneUI update for S20+ has broken the BUTTON_MODE input on controllers. It now incorrectly calls on Android's HOME command.

Controller .kl files are correct, it's a system level issue. Worked correctly before OneUI update.

For example: before OneUI update, pressing the PS button on the DualShock4 controller while using PlayStation Remote Play app would pass the BUTTON_MODE input to the remote play app and open my PlayStation dashboard in the app (intended behavior). After the last OneUI update, if I press that button on my controller it will now yank me entirely out of the app to phone's home screen.

Again, I checked the controller's .kl file in the root system directory and it still correctly shows BUTTON_MODE for button 316.

Happens with other controllers as well, like the Razer Kishi which is directly connected via USB-C. Never had this issue before last OneUI update.

Please roll this back to the previous functionality.  When using a controller we want the controller to pass the inputs to whatever we are using at the time, we do not need or want it to perform phone system functions.  All buttons are required to pass the input when using Playstation, Xbox, or Stadia remote play services.  I don't want ANY buttons to control my phone functions.  At least give us a section in the settings to toggle these things if you aren't going to remove it.

Also - please don't reply to me with a bunch of generic "solutions" from a script.  I am an IT professional and dabble in coding as well.  The issue persists on multiple controllers, as I've stated, and I checked the .kl files for each in the system folders.  Yes, I have restarted my phone.  Yes, I have restarted the controllers.  Yes, I have unpaired and repaired any bluetooth controllers.  Yes, the firmware on all my controllers is up to date.  Yes, my phone is up to date with latest updates.  The issue is with system coding and only began after the last OneUI update.  It worked exactly as intended directly before the update and stopped working as intended immediately after the update.  Just forward this to your dev team please.

12 Replies
BSalsa
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I have also had this issues expect it has taken control of my B button on my Xbox elite controller. It completely cripples my from playing my games properly. Same with me I've done all the unpairing and repairing and everything is up to date. Im really hoping to see a fix in the very near future because I agree in the fact that I will never want my control to control phone functions and it should absolutely be a thing you should be able to turn on or off.
userVRm8QCJAOf
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same issue as well on Galaxy S20+ with a Razer Kishi. Home button kicks me out of games :( please fix

akaEngland
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I am on the Note 20 Ultra 5G and I am also experiencing this problem with my Razer Kishi. One thing to note, when I connect my Xbox one controller, the home button works as intended. 

0 Likes
userJTV8IOnLTQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Check your L1 and R1 buttons. On mine they don't work in the game but instead go to settings menu and app finder.
0 Likes
MGitkos
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
also having this issue with note 20 Ultra 5g
0 Likes
userJTV8IOnLTQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
As of 9/24/2020. The latest update on my Note 10 plus has had the same issues you guys have stated. Not only does it mess up mobile gaming like in Call of Duty, but it also has affected the games being played on Xboxs game pass cloud services.
0 Likes
userxWTNz80nGd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Is this the best forum to share this information to Samsung, or is there another option I could use as well?

Before finding this thread, I've spent the last 2+ months working with Razer to determine why this was happening with the Kishi. Razer initially thought it was a hardware defect, and it took a long time to get another working unit sent to me ... Only to realize the original issue persists, because of this change caused in the OneUI update.

SuttonX
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

In the meantime while we wait for this to be fixed I recommend using the app's on-screen menus/controls just for the home button. That's what I'm doing for now with Xbox GamePass. Tapping on the screen to bring up the overlay and then using the Xbox button from there.

Shame this is a thing, it used to work perfectly before the update. Really wish they would stop "fixing" things that aren't broken.

userIX3Ea51lXr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Any hope for a fix coming soon? Just picked it up for my S20 and found this post. This along with the terrible audio lag on the Buds Live and no ability to use wired headphones makes it likely ill just return it.