cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Halo

Options to protect S20 Ultra camera glass

Hey all. As one of the list of growing users who have experienced their camera glass breaking/fracturing, I firmly believe there is a design defect in the glass protecting the camera housing in the S20 Ultra (and perhaps the S20+).

While Samsung's official line is still denying they have a problem, is there a solution out there that will help the glass from fracturing from normal day-to-day use? For example, does anyone recommend the various S20 Ultra tempered glass camera protection? One example can be found here from Spigen reviewed by a Youtuber.

p.s. Found this on Amazon's Australia site. Nothing like this exists on the Amazon US site.

Let me know if you have any recommendations.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Options to protect S20 Ultra camera glass

Also dealing with this. Have barely used this phone, it isn't even hooked up to a phone service, and a small crack aapeared within days of using camera. I've tried emailing, but no response. Will follow this thread. I also believe theres a defect. 

Highlighted
Halo

@userZcCJaW63gW If you aren't already, you should follow the other thread about the camera glass issue and chime in so we can let Samsung know these are not once off scenarios.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@laugher 

I guess I must be in the minority with not having a problem with the rear glass, but I have a case that has a raised edge around the camera bump that would keep it from touching surfaces. I also do not put my phone in back pocket where it can put stress on the glass, that's been with most phones I've owned actually, not just this one.

If you're going to get the glass screen protector to cover it, read reviews first. A lot of these screen protectors reflect the flash or sunlight into your pictures making them look foggy or hazy. 

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Halo

@Mari_K Which case are you using? At this moment, I'm using Samsung's own leather case. It doesn't have any groove but it feels great in the hand. However, I'm happy to sacrifice leather for a case that has a groove protecting the edge of the glass. Thanks for the tip about the tempered glass reflecting!

While I don't doubt there are people who have had no issues with their S20 Ultra, I firmly believe it's just a matter of time for most of them or with users in your case, have picked protection that might be just enough the keep the glass safe.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@laugher I'm using the Ringke Air S case right now. I have the Samsung silicone case, but right away when I put it on I knew I needed to replace it because the edges around the camera bump are flush with the case, and so the case wouldn't offer adequate protection for the camera bump. I was wondering about the Samsung Leather case for this phone, I had the Alcantera case for my Note 8 and LOVED it, but the leather case for the Ultra looked like it was like the silicone case where the camera bump is flush with the case and so not really protectedthe edges on this case are raised higher than the camera bump to offer protection from laying flat on backthe edges on this case are raised higher than the camera bump to offer protection from laying flat on back

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Halo

@Mari_K- Great. Thanks. I'll have a look at the Ringke Air S.

@Mari_K wrote:

I was wondering about the Samsung Leather case for this phone, I had the Alcantera case for my Note 8 and LOVED it, but the leather case for the Ultra looked like it was like the silicone case where the camera bump is flush with the case and so not really protected

Yes. The leather case cutout for the camera is sitting flushed with the camera glass so offers zero protection to the glass getting scratches or whatever impact on a flat surface is required to potentially fracture the camera glass.

I'm abandoning the leather case as lux as it feels so that I can avoid fracturing the camera glass again.

I only wish I had known about the potential to fracture it in the first place so I would buy cases like the Ringke instead while also saving me from losing quite a bit of trust of Samsung's future developments. They clearly need better engineers who think real world scenarios such as casually placing the phone on a hard surface. I've started seeing the camera glass getting a few microscopic scratches of late and that means the Gorilla Glass 5 they put on isn't up to the task. You would think placing a phone on a hard surface should clearly be a use case scenario that is generally accepted as what users would do! The fact that none of Samsung's cases has the extra groove protection shows they lack that common sense perception.

Right now, I'm being super careful of where I put my phone down. Its things like this that I really shouldn't be worried about.

Again, thanks for sharing advice about your case and the glass protection. Very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Halo

Just ordered a Spigen Liquid Air Armor after looking at a few. Being a past Spigen customer, I was very impressed with Spigen's products because they;

• Do not feel sticky, tacky or leave fingerprint marks all over the case
  • Very slimline protection - have used them in the past on several Samsung Galaxy devices
  • Real world scenario drop tested - accidentally dropping my phone on hard concrete floors shows they work really well, phone damage non-existent during all the accidental drops I've experienced with past Galaxy devices
  • Camera groove protection for S20 Ultra - see screenshot

Note: I would advise a front screen protector if you want to make sure your glass doesn't get scratched while accidentally dropping the phone even though it has raised grooves at the top and bottom of the phone case.

Slimline, non-slip and a considerably reduced tacky feel adds to the experience of using your S20 UltraSlimline, non-slip and a considerably reduced tacky feel adds to the experience of using your S20 UltraRaised groove around the camera glass adding that additional protection from scratches and drops onto a flat concrete surfaceRaised groove around the camera glass adding that additional protection from scratches and drops onto a flat concrete surface

All images used with permission from Spigen.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@laugher 

I love Spigen cases as well! I actually debated between the Ringke Air-S and Spigen Liquid Air, but went with the Ringke because they had color options and I liked the coral color 😊

Highlighted
Halo

@Mari_K- can't argue there. Spigen doesn't offer a lot of color options. This didn't really affect my buying decision however as I've been accused of being relatively conservative. Smiley Wink