cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Phone doesn't always recognize face

Has any been experiencing any problems with biometrics face recognition with their galaxy s20 ultra?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Phone doesn't always recognize face

Hi, @userhayPYxNJ7z  here some tips on setting up face recognition on the Galaxy  S20 series, Please follow the steps below.

Please make let me know if this works for you,  Thank you!

Just follow the below simple steps to Enable Face Recognition lock on Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra:

• From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap Biometrics and security.
  • Tap Face recognition.
  • Put in your screen unlock option like PIN, Password, or Pattern.
  • If it’s your first time to set up Face Recognition, you must set up a screen lock option first (PIN, Password, or Pattern). After that, follow the steps below.
  • From the ‘Are you wearing glasses right now’ screen, select ‘yes’ or ‘no’ then tap Continue.
  • While holding the phone 8-20 inches away, position your face within the circle displayed on-screen.
  • From the Useful features menu, tap the switch to turn each option on Switch on or off Switch off then tap OK (bottom).
  • Stay on the Lock screen: Once unlocked, remain on the lock screen until you swipe.
  • Faster recognition: When off, greater security is provided making it harder to unlock your phone using an image or video.
  • Lift to wake: Wake your phone by picking it up. Face recognition will be ready as soon as you pick up your phone.
  • Brighten screen: Temporarily increases screen brightness to improve facial recognition in the dark.
  • Tap the Face unlock switch to turn facial recognition on.
Highlighted
Constellation

I've already set it up multiple times and still have problems every now and then to open up my phone with my facial recognition.

Highlighted
Product Expert

I see I understand it's a bit annoying when the phone won't open instantly when using face recognition.

Just simple tips,  You want to make sure you are not wearing glasses when unlocking the device.

Or if you set up your face recognition wearing glasses make sure you are wearing glasses when you unlock the device.

And also you want to make sure there are no particles interfering in front of your iris scanner.

If the problem does persist, I would recommend a reset factory to the device and check for an update.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Facial recognition on Galaxy S20 plus is awful, previously had a S9 and had no problems whatsoever.  I always have to use fingerprint to unlock.....

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hello @userhayPYxNJ7z 

I've never really had problems with the facial recognition unless there isn't enough light on my face, then it has a hard time unlocking. But in well lit areas, it works perfectly fine...also, it obviously won't work if wearing a face mask.

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❤️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution ✅ Hope you have a great day!
Highlighted
Astronaut

Yes it fails sometimes but if it is a litlle bit dark outside, I don't even bother anymore because it won't recognise my face at all.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Mine doesn't work at all. I have redone it a few times. Still doesn't work.

Highlighted
Astronaut

yes this phone honestly isn't as good as it's made out to seen