JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Phone makes rattling sound when shaken

(Topic created: 03-27-2020 04:37 AM)
Samsung_NZXrR5p
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Is anyone else having the issue of when shaking your phone it sounds like something is loose in the camera area?

89 Replies
user0I69jnJaq0
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

The camera has movable parts in the ois part of the camera, if you turn your camera on and shake it again the noise will not be there. These parts engage and disengage as needed to save battery but are free to move when the camera is off. I actually called Samsung, they agreed there was a problem, filed a claim for repair and then stumbled across the info I Just shared with you. There isn't anything wrong with your camera! 🤓

user6EGGNrkDzr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

The phone has some funny rattling noise as if there's a loose part in the phone... and apparently I'm not the only one having the same problem... but uts  for Samsung to do that!!! The phone is too expensive to sound like there's loose parts in it 

JORTIZ_12
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi @user6EGGNrkDzr ,

I know is is frustrating when you hear what you think is parts moving about freely or loose piece on your expensive device but it is actually normal.

The noise/rattle you are hearing is from the module(s) that feature optical image stabilization (OIS). These have elements that can move freely when the camera app is not running. It is perfectly normal and part of the design and is not a defect. If my post help in anyway please accept as a solution and send a like. 

Best Regards,

JORTIZ_12

JORTIZ_12
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi @user6EGGNrkDzr ,

Here is also a link you can go to for more information:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/there-is-a-rattling-noise-when-i-shake-my-device/

Best Regards,

JORTIZ_12

userICD6PLeMy7
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Anybody else have something rattling around in their S20 Ultra? It's near the top of the phone when you shake it from side to side.

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi @userICD6PLeMy7 

Yes: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Shaking/m-p/1153603#M4023

TLDR - It's normal, and it's either image stabilization on one of the cameras or autofocus system on the zoom camera. It's not harmful, there are just some moving parts in there that are controlled by magnets, and they're only engaged when the camera app is open.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

userICD6PLeMy7
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Lol ok good, thank you for the response. I have had the phone for a few weeks now and just noticed it today.

BlackOnyx6
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello @userICD6PLeMy7 ,

@Geno71 is absolutely correct.  That thread actually provides you with more insight on the camera. 

Please be sure to mark your solution so others can find solace in the same issue. 

usero7i0XjHosp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi all, 

I recently got my S20 Ultra. Today as I was playing with the camera with the stabilisation on in video, I was alarmed to hear a rattling sound coming from the camera. When I looked at the lens, my main camera lens was visibly shaking violently (by itself) as I moved the phone around.

It didn't seem to affect the super stable video, however I find it hard to believe that it is meant to rattle at such a high frequency by itself. Add to this that it didn't do it all the time, only about once every five times I used the camera.

What in the world is up with this? Anybody have any idea?

usero7i0XjHosp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. You didn't read the question properly though I'm afraid - it occurs WHILE I'm videoing, which is while I'm using the camera app. And it is not the periscope camera I'm referring to, it is the main camera which is visibly shaking violently. 

@Paul Deemer wrote:

That is Normmal for all Ultras. The Periscope camera that lays across the camera body moves on rails. When not being used you will hear it moving around like that. Open the Camera app and you won't hear it anymore.  Close the app and the noise returns. Nothing can be done abou that. 

0 Likes