JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Phone makes rattling sound when shaken

(Topic created: 03-27-2020 11:50 AM)
Samsung_NZXrR5p
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Is anyone else having the issue of when shaking your phone it sounds like something is loose in the camera area?

89 Replies
jellodragon
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello,

that is normal. It is the sound of the camera aperture switching. Thanks.

0 Likes
Solution
Joellem
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

hi @ic3y808 

for the rattling sound that you hear when you shake the optical image stabilization "OIS"

its the one managing when you are recording or capturing phone to be at a stable position

there is no way for it to be tightened up because it is controlled a gimbal-like inside the device.

and when you are capturing a video it shouldn't make any noise  because the electromagnet will be turned on and stabilize the videos and photos that you are trying to the.https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/optical-image-stabilization/

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" When you find an answer that works for you

JHampton1-837
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey there sorry for the confusion but thats supposed to be that way, it's OIS (A technology for cameras that physically moves the camera lens to compensate for camera movement. Any time a camera takes a photo, the image is captured over a period of time. That period of time is extremely short when working with ample light.) This is very normal on devices that have OIS. Have a great day!!!

0 Likes
userOqvORw7HBf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

anyone else having a rattling noise coming from the back camera? Phone hasn't be dropped or anything 

Samsung_8j0b35m
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi

0 Likes
Tgfvhjjffcghjjg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have that same problem on my samsung galaxy a50

0 Likes
Samsung_3xM09UA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Its part of the cameras auto zoom and auto focus system. Its completely normal

userD2z8ykeleC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same issue, rattling noise when I move my phone.. Does not sound normal.. a loose  moving parts in electrical device?

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userD2z8ykeleC 

Those parts are not lose. They use magnets to move and stabilize auto focus for the zoom camera and image stabilization for others, but those magnets don't need to be energized and active all the time. So when you're not using the camera, those few moving parts can move around a little bit. It's actually been the thing for years: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/there-is-a-rattling-noise-when-i-shake-my-device/ this page is from 2018.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

0 Likes
user5mcm5XM9lS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Yes. And it goes away when you activate the camera.