JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Phone makes rattling sound when shaken

(Topic created: 03-27-2020 04:51 PM)
Samsung_NZXrR5p
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Is anyone else having the issue of when shaking your phone it sounds like something is loose in the camera area?

89 Replies
jellodragon
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello,

that sound may be the camera aperture trying to stabilize it self. If you turn off your phone, you should also hear that aperture shutting off, and when you move rapidly between pictures modes on the camera app, you should hear it as well. 

0 Likes
usero7i0XjHosp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi jellodragon, thanks for your reply. So would it be considered normal for the camera to be doing it while I am recording to that extent? 

0 Likes
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@usero7i0XjHosp Yes it is consider normal I believe it is an optical stabilizer that moves around and also that aperture that closes and open the sensor which is both mechanical hardware that makes noise.

BlackOnyx6
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello @usero7i0XjHosp ,

@jellodragon and @RedDragon are absolutely right. Its totally normal. Please be sure to mark your solution so other can find a resolution as well. 

0 Likes
Khryzcs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Does anyone s20 ultra make a sound if you shake it? Mine just started today 05/04/2020

0 Likes
mkkim
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello@Khryzcs 

As stated "This isn't a problem. It is just the lenses of the camera moving around when not being used. The lenses are stabilized with electromagnetism. When they aren't used, they will move around as there are no gears or mechanics to hold it into place."

0 Likes
Khryzcs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

so why it didn't happened before?

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@Khryzcs 

It did, I'm sure you just haven't noticed it before.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

0 Likes
mkkim
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20

hHello@Khryzcs 

es I noticed it too at S20 Unpacked. At the time I was told that it maybe a pre-production unit or whatever, but after watching some tear downs, I have a theory. While there were some reports of click or weird sounds coming from previous models, it's not the same thing. With S20 Ultra it's louder and definitely much more noticeable, but try this... if you open the camera and try shaking the unit, the rattling sound stops completely. Close the camera and it returns. I believe it's the zoom lens autofocusing system. The lens are positioned sideways, and they are on tiny rails, moving left and right when focusing, so when camera is not in use, they move freely when you shake your phone.

I don't think it's harmful to the device, but of course I'd say try not to shake your phone on purpose too much.

0 Likes
Khryzcs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I watched unpacked and every review there was at the time nobody mentioned that the phone rattles. And I didn't know this is most expensive rattle that I have ever bought

0 Likes