cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Phone saying "Moisture has been detected in your charging port"

Just wanted to share my experience here so everyone is aware of what happened to me. 

Recently my 4 month old s20+ randomly started giving me a "moisture has been detected in your charger/USB port." after plugging in my phone to use android auto in my vehicle. This phone has never seen water nor been in any high humidity environments. 

I scheduled an appointment for a warranty repair via Samsung and was told to go to a UBreakIFix in Lake Worth, TX. From the moment I stepped in the store, I knew I wasn't going to be helped. I was advised by some other customers that the employees had loaded another customers personal data onto their device by mistake, tons of excuses when they have repairs done, etc. I digress, and try to see if they can resolve my issue anyways. 

NOPE! Apparently the moment these phones start giving you a moisture detected message, your warranty is void. I told the store employee, "this phone has never seen water so how can my warranty be void." He told me it could also be caused by humidity, even from being outside. I told him its never been in any extremely humid environments either, but was given the same answer about my warranty being void due to what I'm 90% sure is a hardware issue. I told him, "So if I live somewhere humid like Texas or Florida and the humidity causes this error, how is that my fault? Am I not allowed to live in the south with one of these phones or my warranty will be void?" 

I've had multiple Samsung flagship and have never seen a moisture error message persist like this. I got it to clear up for one night and work on a different charging cable, then many other charging cables afterward, but when I plugged into android auto, the moisture error message started popping up again. This is not happening on my other Galaxy device, so it is limited to this phone. 

I am really hoping Samsung reads this and helps me out. It is really annoying to have a $1400 device that is only 4 months old and I can't even charge it the way I want to due to a hardware issue. This is unacceptable.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Phone saying "Moisture has been detected in your charging port"

Try wireless charger.
it might work.
Highlighted
Astronaut

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a wireless charger. but it doesn't want to work right either.
Highlighted
Constellation

Hi,

I live in south Florida for the past 30 years and have always had Galaxy cels since probably the S2 if I remember correctly. I purchased directly from Samsung 1-1/2 years ago a S10e. My wife is an Iphone user for the longest time. All that being said, we never ever had any such issues till last week when I had exactly the same error message and the same result from a tech recommending to go to Ubreakifix and same.response by the employee. Leave it and we'll see what we can do but outright stating it is out of warranty and possibly the port which is sauntered to motherboard will need to be changed at a cost of over $300.00. Definitely did not leave it. Called Samsung Tech support and explained the whole situation. They were very friendly and kind and stated they would repair this one time free of charge. Cel went and back within 10 days. Repaired and working perfectly. After I had done all my setup and put it back to all.my settings, etc., called tech support to find out what was wrong explaining again I do not place my cell near water and have been doing same charging procedure for many years and never had the issue. 2 things the tech told me. 1) Try and always use charge cables designed for unit and not cheap ones which do not have the required standards and electronic chips in charge ends. 2) Try to not overcharge by charging prior to going to sleep. Instead do it while awake and disconnect as soon as it shows 100%. Not sure about this last one since new wall adapters have the electronics to shutdown at around 95% and then trickle charge.

I have today ordered 2 new charge cables thry Amazon which are quick charge 3.0, braided, S10e compatible, 12,000 bends tested, and more. Rampow brand because I needed short cables for the car. I have longer cables at home Aukey brand which are excellent.

Hope this clears it for the so many with same issue.

Larry in Plantation, Fl

Highlighted
Constellation

For the person that stated to use wireless charger, this will not work since the charge port and the wireless internal are tied together to mother board. When one goes, so does the other one as explained by employee from Ubreakifix.

Highlighted
Astronaut

@casketdriver@userruPfMUHdzE, @user7qYAwbcy8z @my wife's S20 started with tge moisture detected about 3 week ago, just after completing tge Aug 1 software update. Is it the update? I'll find out soon as i am downloading it as I bounce between wifi networks.

Ubreakifix is giving you false info on the no wireless charging if there's moisture detected. She bought the Anker 10w Max wireless fast-charging pad and it works great.

This seems as if its a common issue for the S20, Samsung uses its IP68 rating tauting water resistance up to 1.5m for a 30 minute duration as a selling point. Random moisture and humidity should not cause this.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Re: Phone saying "Moisture has been detected in your charging port"

thanks for the information. I reached out to Samsung and went to a different ubreakifix store and got the charging port covered under warranty.
Highlighted
Astronaut

My moisture error started after an update last week, maybe the update made sensor more sensitive.

I was able to charge sometimes with phone turned off. Humidity did seem to worsen this moisture warning problem on my phone, here in SW Florida humidity is extreme.  I flatened the end of a tooth pick to make it soft like a brush, moistened that with 90% isopropyl alcohol, used that to clean lent and debris from charging port, blasted port with canned air (dust off) and no more moisture error. It might be necessary  to clean the connector on the cable as well. I think the lent and debris was shorting the connectors when damp from humidity. Last resort might be a wireless charger, that also worked for me. Good luck!