Original topic:

Photos at night: reflections and ghosting like I haven't seen with others

(Topic created: 08-01-2021 11:03 PM)
markus9843
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi,

I switched from Huawei P10 (2 back cameras) to Samsung S20 (3 back cameras).

I noticed really intense and strange light reflections when taking photos at night. 

I didn't notice anything like that with any device I had before. And I didn't find anything like that in any forum.

What's this intense reflections about? Is this the normal behavior of the Samsung camera?

Best wishes

Markus

20210731_225055.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CapitalJeff
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
This was also an annoying problem on my previous device, an S6. It's a reflection from one or more light sources in the frame.

Sometimes slightly adjusting the tilt of the phone gets rid of it or moves it to a less conspicuous location. It is really frustrating they haven't corrected this flaw.

View solution in context

5 Replies
KevInfo
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
Not sure, maybe try night mode or make sure scene select is active?
0 Likes
markus9843
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Somehow I don't think it makes a difference, but I can try the night mode next time.

Scene select is anyway always on.

0 Likes
User_name
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20

do you have this behavior on every night mode pictures you take? do you have any other examples with the same phenomenon?

have you tried it in safe mode?

submit an error report on members app > + button > error report if you think it's a software issue

0 Likes
markus9843
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I remember I first recognized it when pointing the camera towards sky / horizon at the end of the day (not fully dark). Back then I did not take a photo as it was so distrubing that I did not press the shutter button. I'll try to get a few more shots in the next days.

I submitted an error report to Samsung, however, I am not quite sure if those are monitored (I am new to the Samsung ecosystem when it comes to phones).

I am not aware of a safe mode. 

I think this happens only when there are external lights e.g. street light, light from cars. I also think this is only visible when there is a simple unicolor background (sky, etc.)

I also realized this happened with the iPhone X of my wife as well, so I was wondering if these are general issues with newer phones (including several cameras) 🤔

0 Likes
Solution
CapitalJeff
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
This was also an annoying problem on my previous device, an S6. It's a reflection from one or more light sources in the frame.

Sometimes slightly adjusting the tilt of the phone gets rid of it or moves it to a less conspicuous location. It is really frustrating they haven't corrected this flaw.