cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Halo

Pixel 4a vs Galaxy S20 camera comparison...

20200828_161938.jpg20200828_181102.jpg20200828_162001.jpg20200828_181135.jpg20200828_172541.jpg20200828_161644.jpg20200828_163153.jpg20200828_160136.jpg20200828_163218.jpg20200828_161134.jpg

Hey everybody.  Just wanted to share some real life pics taken from my S20 and a Pixel 4a I used for a weekend.  It's really surprising to see how a $350 phone compares to a $1000 one.  I honestly can't stand the camera on the S20 anymore and am promptly trading it in once the Pixel 5 comes out.  Take a look at my sample pics to see how these compare.  This is purely just for comparisons and if you enjoy your S20 then that's great.  FYI - the colors in the photos are more accurate with the 4a. 

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Halo

Re: Pixel 4a vs Galaxy S20 camera comparison...

The Samsung S20 cameras are broken and cannot be fixed with firmware as they have demonstrated that through several iterations of firmware updates. Perhaps they sacrificed everyday photography when they put in that telephoto lens but seriously, even the zoomed in photos is too noisy resulting in me picking up my DSLR instead. Basically, I am finding more and more that I am picking up my Nikon for taking photos and asking my wife to take photos with her iPhone 11 Pro Max.

It is several steps backwards for Samsung and I have vowed never to buy Samsung again because they have refused to fix their reputation by letting me trade into another phone. I have asked unsuccessfully at Samsung Experience stores to trade down to a Note 10+. The response I got was basically, "Sorry, you bought a lemon but we don't do refunds or trade down offers."

FYI, Google may not release a top end phone again based on my reading. I think they will aim more towards the middle/low tier phone offerings so if you can snatch a great deal on Pixel 4, I'd do that instead.

Highlighted
Halo

The camera system is awful on the S20 and honestly I'm not sold on the 3 lenses anymore.  I thought it would be a good thing to have but it doesn't even matter.  The software in the camera app is terrible.  The constant complaints of skin smoothing even when all of that junk is turned off.  The camera can't seem to focus correctly 100% of the time so when you think you're getting a good shot it actually turns out bad.  The camera also can't process a good photo if anything moves in the shot...I have given up taking pictures of my 15 month old son.  Just can't do it.  The Pixel 4a was capable.  iPhone 11 can do it.  Galaxy...no.  And as far as Google not having a high end phone...I am perfectly fine with that.  I just want a capable camera that is dependable and doesn't saturate the colors and lose detail in shots.  Those last 6 pictures I posted are pretty alarming. Look at the color difference.  The Pixel nailed it in each shot while the Galaxy had some real issues.  Also the photos of my dog.  In the S20 shot is blurs parts of her fur.  This is a constant thing and shouldn't be happening on a phone that costs $1000 that was touted as having the best camera system.  

I'm ditching my S20 immediately.  Once the Pixel 5 is announced I'm leaving Samsung for good.  Just can't put up with their nonsense anymore.  

Highlighted
Halo

Just look at the outline of your dog where my magnifying glass cursor is placed. Samsung phones prior to S20 was BEST IN CLASS. Now its WORST IN CLASS. Caps deliberate.

They are shooting themselves in the foot here. On the S20 Ultra, its even WORST. Again, Caps deliberate.

Your dog looks like its going bald with the S20. That's why I no longer rely on S20 for photos during memorable events.

s20s204a4a

Highlighted
Halo

I agree. We mostly just use my wife's iphone when it comes to taking important pictures. The S20 is just way too unreliable. Mine will blur constantly, or just not capture light correctly, especially indoors. It's been a real disaster of a phone for me unfortunately. I used the 4a for a few days and absolutely loved it. That's why I'm ultimately switching to the Pixel 5 after about 10 years of having Samsung's. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

I tried them all and I still prefer my galayx camera. I have lots of iphones friend user when they saw my pix they quickly ask me what phone I am using. I like the beauty mode which I think most women do to be honest. 20200817_171056.jpg

Highlighted
Halo

Yeah it's personal preference. I'd much rather have my photos have realistic colors though and not be over saturated like this example. These are point and shoot photos. Cheap Pixel beats expensive S20. 20200828_180920.jpg

20200828_161751.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@MikeS3 Yes my iphone user friends say they like the vibrant and vivid picture of the galaxy. The pixel just looks dull to me. 

Highlighted
Halo

That's not dull. That's how it actually looks in person. The Pixel and iphones do a way better job of capturing the color as we see it with our own eyes. Samsung over saturates. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@MikeS3 From my understanding when you take a photo it will capture from raw and the camera software will do its magic and pixel decided to not do much on image processing which this can accomplished on galaxy in raw but again most people I know prefer the vibrant and vivid camera. Take a look at pictures on advertise billboards they have good and vivid quality they dont look dull because people prefer that way, in my opinion. IMG_20200331_153216_605.jpg

IMG_20200508_000741_425.jpg

IMG_20200618_173734_050.jpg

IMG_20200623_015519_633.jpg