cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Pixel Flickering on wake

Hello,

I noticed that there is a pixel that flickers at the top of my phone's screen, right of the camera.  I have been reading that it may be due to the proximity sensor that flickers during calls.

My issue is that it flickers when my phone goes from sleep to wake into the lock screen and occurs during low lighting (mostly at night, at least that's when I notice it).  The flickering sometimes disappear quickly but other times slowly.  The flickering also happens to occur where the proximity sensor is but I thought it only flickers during calls.

I took it to a certified Samsung repair shop but they couldn't replicate the issue.  I tried recording it but due to low lighting, auto focusing, and the light from the phone when it wakes, the video quality isn't great. 

Should I be concern about this?

Again, I want to stress that it occurs during low light and during sleep to wake transitions, independent of calls.

--------------------------------------------

Edited on April 16, 2020

I figured out that the flickering occurs when it thinks it's inside a pocket (this supports my eariler comment about it happening during low lighting).  I was able to get a few videos that shows this occuring and the flickering stays on long if the phone thinks it's inside a pocket (where you have to drag the lock icon to unluck).

If Samsung can help see if this is a bug or not since I haven't found a solution or answer to explain this effect.

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Product Expert

Re: Pixel Flickering on wake

Good Afternoon @xxiong91 

You are absolutely correct while you are using the device and in a call that "flickering" is the Proxmeity Sensor.  So you have noooo issues their, but in regards to the flickering happening during other times is a bit odd.  I wonder if you have the "Smart Stay" feature turned on?  If this setting is turned on, then that would explain the proxmeity light flickering.  I would like you to verify the status of this setting for me.

Settings > Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures > Smart Stay

Please let me know if this setting was on/off.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hello @SamsungProf,

Smart Stay is currently turned off.  Please advise on next steps. 

Thank you.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@xxiong91  hello! Do you happen to have face unlock turned on? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @VerbumVeritum,

I do not have face unlock turned on.  I only pattern and finger biometric turned on.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have noticed this on my S20 Plus as well. Only saw it for the first time today, had the phone for a month. Rather annoying. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Update: I think I may have found the culprit. I've switched off "Accidental Touch Protection" under Settings...Display and the annoying flickering pixel is gone, at least for now.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @adupreez86,

Yes, turning off "accidental touch protection" fixes the flickering since the phone won't think it's in a pocket when using it at night.  It's not really a solution but it'll take away the flickering.  I was hoping samsung fix it but it's unlikely.