Original topic:

Rear Camera glass broken - FOR APPARENT NO REASON!

(Topic created on: 1/6/21 4:58 PM)
CJL168
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Well, this is really disappointing!

My rear camera glass broke for no obvious reason.  It was fine, took photos with before placing it into alone into my chest pocket of my jacket.  I pulled the phone out later to take another photo just to find out the glass over the center rear camera lense was basically GONE!  It looks like a bullet was fired out of the camera and blew a hole in the glass.

After purchasing a brand new phone (Galaxy S20 UW) and trading in a perfectly fine Galaxy S9, I was so excited about this phone.  I have used this phone very carefully over ONLY 2-3 weeks, always in a protective case and never even dropped it. Now after what happened, and now finding this to be a rather common issue, I am soooo sorry I traded up to this phone.

Has Samsung done anything to fix this issue on these phones?  Have they repaired them under warranty?  I always had decent luck with Samsung phones, monitors, TV's, etc...until now.

Looking forward to getting a quality response from Samsung so I don't have to jump ship to another phone brand.

3 Replies
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

What a hassle having to deal with a broke camera glass!  As you probably know, you're not alone.  This is a "known Samsung defect" and they are dealing with it under the phone's warranty.  - - So, on a good note, Samsung will take care of it.  On a downside, it can take  10 - 14 days to get it fixed with Samsung.

Hopefully you have a backup phone to use while your new phone is being repaired.  Good luck!

CJL168
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm trying to speak directly with the repair center now.  Apparently they will not repair this under warranty.  Hopefully the repaired phone will have an upgraded part that does not allow this to happen again so easily.

CJL168
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Nope, so far Samsung Repair Center refuses to repair the phone under warranty.  How have people had this repaired under warranty?  I do see that Samsung has a completely different design of the camera cover for the S21 (I'm sure largely due to this design flaw) and thus the S20 will probably be removed from the market asap after S21's are released. 

That S20 camera glass must be so delicate it can't even survive light bumps in a good case, in 3 weeks of ownership, when I've dropped my S9 hard several times over 3 years with no damage.

Well, If I have to pay for this, I may have a lightly used (and repaired) S20 up for sale soon so I can move to an Apple device!  Goodbye Samsung!!!!