cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S20 5G - Won't Connect to Mobile Data (Boost/Sprint)

Needed to up grade my phone, so a week ago I went to the boost mobile website to see what they offered.

Because I was already a customer (switched to Boost, when the took over Virgin) they had a deal on the Galaxy S20 G5.  I ordered it...on 04/13/20, shipped on 0414/20, arrived on the evening of 04/17/20.

Went to Boost website and switched phone number from old to new on 04/18/20.  Transfered contacts, apps, photos....  Phone would allow me to make phone calls, send text messages but NOT connect to the internet. 

Spent the day doing everything the website suggested to get it to work, reset, hard reset, factory reset.  Called the number for help and they told me to go to the website.

On 04/18/20 I called the service number, following the prompts, I again did all of the things the website told me to do. Finally I was able to speak to a CSR.  Once again I did all of he resets, all of the try this, try that  and it did not work.  After about 30 minutes, I was transferred to "Tech support" were I once again did all of the resets, try this.... STILL NO DATA/INTERNET.

The tech said he would submit a report and gave me a tracking number. Promised a phone call or e-mail within 48 hours with the results. NOTHING.

On 04/21/20 after the 48 hours had passed with no call or mail, I called.  Same procedure... could not tell anyone I had a ticket number, no one cared that I had already called... 

After about an hour of trial and error, I was asked for my location.. when I told them where I was they casually remarked... Oh there is NO 5G in your area, and this phone ONLY does data/internet on a 5G network... 

SAY WHAT?   THIS PHONE ONLY DOES DATA/INTERNET on a 5G NETWORK. Sorry. 

Good thing I got a return authorization number on my initial call because you only have 7 days from the time you place your order (this includes the day it took for them to process and the 2 days it took to arrive.....

Anyone have better luck with this phone than I am having, is it true that it only does data on a 5G network? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: S20 5G - Won't Connect to Mobile Data (Boost/Sprint)

Half my Google searchs come back offline. And your lucky to get content transfer. The thing doesn't even know it active. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Sorry to hear that your 5G connection is often spotty in your area. Just like you stated earlier 5G support hasn't reached everywhere just yet and therefore strongest and supported in certain areas. The immediate suction for this is you can switch your data signal down to 4G connectivity to get data to your S20. 

To do this go to your Settings Menu> then tap "connections"> after which you'll want to tap on "mobile Networks"> then tap on "network mode" once you do this; there will be a mini drop down menu that pops up that allows you to switch from 5G down to 4G and even down to 3G. You'll want to select the 4G option. 

Highlighted
Constellation

I had the same issue with my phone.  I was able to fix the problem by finding Sprint/Boost data reset code online and inputting it into my phone.  As far the phone only connecting to a 5G network <edit>, after my most recent software update my phone no longer connects to 5G it only does Volt LTE 

@userYLbnCP5HqL wrote:

Needed to up grade my phone, so a week ago I went to the boost mobile website to see what they offered.

Because I was already a customer (switched to Boost, when the took over Virgin) they had a deal on the Galaxy S20 G5.  I ordered it...on 04/13/20, shipped on 0414/20, arrived on the evening of 04/17/20.

Went to Boost website and switched phone number from old to new on 04/18/20.  Transfered contacts, apps, photos....  Phone would allow me to make phone calls, send text messages but NOT connect to the internet. 

Spent the day doing everything the website suggested to get it to work, reset, hard reset, factory reset.  Called the number for help and they told me to go to the website.

On 04/18/20 I called the service number, following the prompts, I again did all of the things the website told me to do. Finally I was able to speak to a CSR.  Once again I did all of he resets, all of the try this, try that  and it did not work.  After about 30 minutes, I was transferred to "Tech support" were I once again did all of the resets, try this.... STILL NO DATA/INTERNET.

The tech said he would submit a report and gave me a tracking number. Promised a phone call or e-mail within 48 hours with the results. NOTHING.

On 04/21/20 after the 48 hours had passed with no call or mail, I called.  Same procedure... could not tell anyone I had a ticket number, no one cared that I had already called... 

After about an hour of trial and error, I was asked for my location.. when I told them where I was they casually remarked... Oh there is NO 5G in your area, and this phone ONLY does data/internet on a 5G network... 

SAY WHAT?   THIS PHONE ONLY DOES DATA/INTERNET on a 5G NETWORK. Sorry. 

Good thing I got a return authorization number on my initial call because you only have 7 days from the time you place your order (this includes the day it took for them to process and the 2 days it took to arrive.....

Anyone have better luck with this phone than I am having, is it true that it only does data on a 5G network?