cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S20+ AT&T unable to update firmware

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm from Singapore and has been using S20 Exynos, but due to the extreme heat, bad battery life,etc. I've decided to import S20+ Snapdragon from AT&T, according to the Service provider SW ver information, it's showing as SAOMC_SM-G986U-OYN_ATT_QQ_0023 (I believe this means the set are unlocked).

With that said, I noticed that the software is outdated and the security patch level is on February 1,2020. when I referring to the AT&T website, It's showing as the latest software is QP1A.190711.020.G986USQU1ATE6 (June update), while I'm still on QP1A.190711.020.G986USQU1ATAW.

My question now is, whenever I tried to hit the software update, it's keep telling me that my software is up to date. Is there's a reason why it's wont detect the update? If it's because I'm in Singapore and  not in US? Please help

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: S20+ AT&T unable to update firmware

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userwDYmb2d3RL 

I have some bad news, unfortunately. A carrier branded US model, in this case AT&T, can only be updated over the air when using with active AT&T SIM card on AT&T's home network. Meaning that unless you ever visit USA and can put an active AT&T SIM card in it (like AT&T Prepaid for example), your phone will never get any updates. There is no way around this as far as I know, maybe only by installing another OS firmware onto the phone, but I don't know too much about that. Why did you pick an AT&T model and not a factory unlocked one?

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for reaching out. This forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and the support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry

You also have an option to reach out to your current carrier regarding updating your device.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi There,

Thank you for the reply. but I hope that you read the sentences as a whole instead of the first part only. like I've mentioned earlier, this is a US set from AT&T.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userwDYmb2d3RL 

I have some bad news, unfortunately. A carrier branded US model, in this case AT&T, can only be updated over the air when using with active AT&T SIM card on AT&T's home network. Meaning that unless you ever visit USA and can put an active AT&T SIM card in it (like AT&T Prepaid for example), your phone will never get any updates. There is no way around this as far as I know, maybe only by installing another OS firmware onto the phone, but I don't know too much about that. Why did you pick an AT&T model and not a factory unlocked one?

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Didn't choose that by a choice, but my seller happens to sell me the AT&T carrier, which according to many forumers it's the most tedious and restrictive carrier.

I guess I had no choice but to flash the firmware. Thanks, mate. Cheers.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No problem!