cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Astronaut

S20 FE 5G T-Mobile

I switched carriers from AT&T  to T-Mobile because 5G is available in my area.  When I switched i got the Samsung s20 fe 5g  thinking I would be able to connect to 5G with faster speeds.  Since switching I have not been able to connect to 5g and the 4G LTE speeds are very slow.  I'm being told it is because the S20 FE 5G is not compatible with the T Mobile STANDALONE 5G service, and they are waiting for Samsung to release a software update to fix this issue.   Does anybody else have this issue?  When can we expect the update?  Right now I'm lucky to be at 9 Mbps on a good day. 
10 REPLIES 10
Constellation

Re: S20 FE 5G T-Mobile

yeah I noticed this too. it says 5g next to signal indicator, but I'm getting LTE speeds that I had on my Oneplus 6T. I read on TMO support you also need a SA 5G compatible sim, may not be a problem for you since you have the TMO version and should have come with it. I got the unlocked direct from Samsung.
Astronaut

Re: Re: S20 FE 5G T-Mobile

Mine doesn't connect to the standalone 5G but will connect to other 5G signals when traveling. I live right next to a brand new T Mobile tower but I guess it's on a different 5G frequency that the S20 FE can't connect to.
Comet

The S20 FE has T-Mobile sub6 band 71 (and other LTE sub6 bands) which is Non-Standalone (SA) as opposed to SA bands for the new/faster 2.5Ghz speed. The phone only supports 5G over 4G bands and hence, 4G speeds. T-Mobile originally deployed 5G over the 71 band, which your phone has.
Astronaut

will my phone be able to connect to 5g after a software update?
Comet

That I don't know. I believe the 5G modem is the same as in other S20 series and they support SA, NSA and mmWave frequencies. It could be but depends on samsung-I am not affiliated with them in any way.
Astronaut

understood. I appreciate the input.
Comet

Re: Re: Re: S20 FE 5G T-Mobile

welcome.
Astronaut

And still no updates.... Last update I received was in October. T Mobile LTE is extremely slow and still can't get my phone to connect to 5G even thoughI'm right next to the tower. where's the updates Samsung??
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thanks for your inquiry. Once available, updates are released to Carriers and thereafter, it is at the Carriers discretion to release the update to customers. Since updates are released by Carriers in waves, we’re unable to determine when your device will receive an update. We appreciate your loyalty.