cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

S20 FE Disconnecting from WiFi - I'm out of ideas :(

I'm exhausted. I have issues with WiFi on not one, by TWO S20FE 4G phones (I bought a FE for me and the wife at the same time on pre-order direct from Samsung)

It will connect fine to WiFi and work perfectly until I make a phone call using WiFi calling. After that whenever I turn off my phone and it is sitting idle it disconnects from WiFi. Sometimes it will stay connected for 5-10 minutes or more, sometimes after just 1 minute it disconnects.

And because my mobile signal is weak in my house, I then miss calls. As soon as I wake up my phone it goes through the process of connecting to WiFi and WiFi calling again and will then work ok, while I have it on, if I turn it off again, it will have the issue again. Off, disconnects, on connects, off disconnects...repeat...

Only thing that corrects it is restarting the phone, where it is then fine again, until I make another call and it starts all over again. And as I have poor mobile reception and it is turning WiFi off and on, and restarting, my battery life is terrible to rub it in.

I've scoured the internet for resolutions, to find many people over many years with WiFi disconnection issues. Things I've tried to resolve it:

• 4-5 different WiFi networks

• home network with 2 different routers,

• Telstra 4G mobile hotspot, (anywhere)

• public hotel WiFi network, (100km from home!)

• plus guest network at home

• WiFi router settings

• 2.4GHz or 5GHz networks, same or different SSIDs

• legacy bands,

• restrict channels to 20MHz,

• IPv6 off,

• QoS off...

• Phone settings

• Factory restart multiple times

• Reset network settings multiple times

• Run in high performance battery mode

• Turn off any adaptive power saving, app sleeping etc

• WiFi Calling mobile or WiFi network preferred

• Bluetooth and WiFi location scanning

• Disabling Hotspot 2.0 connection

• WiFi network MAC address type

• Switch to mobile data setting

• Developer settings, WiFi scan throttling, WiFi-Safe mode, enable WiFi verbose logging

• Phone in Safe mode

• Turning off bluetooth, disconnecting watch etc

• With extra logging turned on, I can see signal strengths are usually totally fine, RSSI -60 usually

• Sit phone down with streaming TV, 5 hours straight, no issues, battery life good, the issue isn't when I'm using the phone.

• Samsung support, phone, email, chat all give the standard, restart your phone and measures above. Eventually took to a Samsung store which is 130km drive for me...

• They took it for a few days and said they tested it "by connecting to WiFi and running video for 1 hour, no issues found". I was furious, but they sent it back to me saying it is fine.

• Samsung members app, send logs, and screenshots and videos of issue. They say they can't see an issue in the logs, and that it has been sent to the R&D team who haven't found anything yet (two weeks).

Note, I had S6, S8, S9, S9+, S10 previous to these S20FE phones, some of which at same house on same internet and same router, all worked without fault. (unfortunately I traded in the S9 and S10 to buy these so can't just fall back to them).

So it seems my options....

• Move house so I don't need WiFi calling, or get a signal booster

• Just turn off WiFi calling, and enjoy the bliss of no-one being able to reach me for work.

• Try again for Samsung to give refund, and go buy a Pixel or something (I wondered about the FE 5G version which has come down in price to well below what I paid for the 4G, but I've seen other reports of similar WiFi issues so maybe not, plus I'm so frustrated by Samsung's support)

• wait for a software update?

• Just accept I have to restart my phone every time I make or receive a phone call!

• anything else anyone can suggest!?!?!

12 REPLIES 12

Re: S20 FE Disconnecting from WiFi - I'm out of ideas :(

I suspect your router. If it is a well-known brand, I would reset to factory settings. You can try rebooting it first.
In Settings, make sure voLTE is enabled.
Why do you turn off your phone so often?
Asteroid

As I said I tried two routers at home, plus a hotspot, plus a public WiFi. Same issue on all. Also didn't have issues with s9 or S10 on this router. 

When I say I turn it off, I just mean screen off to sleep, not turning it off entirely.

Asteroid

Re: Re: S20 FE Disconnecting from WiFi - I'm out of ideas :(

my problem is similar, won't connect to hidden ssid. it's an S20 issue. I feel your pain.
Astronaut

Get an I-Phone
Asteroid

Funny I have an iPhone 6 I used as a spare when I sent this back to Samsung. It works fine.

Constellation

Not sure if this will help- been having my own wifi issues with s20 5G (intermittently dropping sometimes less than a minute apart- and no it is not the router).

See if changing metered network settings will help.

This was a solution in another post.  

"MAC address type: Randomized MAC (default) -> Phone MAC

Advanced > Metered Network: Detect automatically (default) -> Treat as unmetered"

If I could guess- watching videos (like when it was tested) won't show the issue likely because it successfully buffers video.  My issue has been short bursts of wifi disconnect- frequently enough to eat tons of data.  Right before I decided to toss it in a lake, the above has worked for me so far and something I have not seen in other post "solutions".  Hope that helps- if I had a dime for every answer blaming the router....

Asteroid

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I've tried both those options, no difference. 

It never disconnects when I'm actively using it, just when the screen is off.

...and if I had a dime for everyone who bought a no-name cheap router from their local big box...

The very heart of your home wifi deserves the best.

Asteroid

Agreed. Hence I have a quality Asus router. No issue with any other devices nor Samsung's before these.