cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S20 FE Proximity Sensor NOT WORKING

The primary function of a cell phone is to TALK ON THE PHONE. 

Without the proximity sensor turning the screen off quickly enough to prevent accidental button touches caused by someone's face, you  end up hanging up, putting people on hold, touching buttons, etc....  

If you're having this issue, just know that you're not alone.  Unfortunately, I haven't found any confirmation that this problem can be solved via software updates.  The path Samsung keeps pushing me and others is 'return or replacement'.  How do I know the new S20 FE I get won't just have the same problems?  

I'm not the only one having this issue, and I'm offended when a samsung tech acts like I am and that this is an isolated incident.  See below for all of the other reports for proximity/touchscreen issues:

Samsung Community 

Reddit 

xda-developers 

9to5Google 

News Article 

Samsung Community 

Android Central 

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: S20 FE Proximity Sensor NOT WORKING

I'm having the problem, too. S20 FE 5G unlocked in the US. screen turns on while talking on phone almost constantly.
Highlighted
Astronaut

Same problem with my S20 plus. Looks like this is not just a FE problem.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I have the same problem. I put phone into test mode and it was bad compared to my wife's s9 search proximity sensor s20fe on YouTube and see others with issue  I posted a video here: https://youtu.be/7Ei1uWcEVq0

Comparing the virtual proximity sensor on the Galaxy S20FE to the S9, it obvious the S20FE sensor is inferior. The phone is constantly hanging up, launching ...
Highlighted
Astronaut

I thought I was just going crazy. I came from s8+ and prefer my s8+ over s20 fe so far.
Highlighted
Asteroid

I have the same issue with proximity sensor. when on a call phone ends up on dialer and my face dials random digits. even made a call out during another call.
Highlighted

ok so FE has a virtual proximity sensor and other flagship models have physical proximity sensors. therefore, shouldn't compare with other flagship models.. make sure you guys put the device very close to the ear.. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I keep it so close to my ear that I hit buttons. That's the problem! Last night I activated an RTT call. What happens if I accidently call 9-1-1? This isn't some $200 phone, its $650, there are other phones out there that are actually decent phones at this price range. And comprimising on something so basic as phone functionality is not optional

Highlighted
Astronaut

Proximity sensor should engage some form of lock when the phone is "near" your face or ear.
In my case the phone is already pressed into my ear and still not engaging any lock (causing all matter of whacky results in a middle of a call). If it is has to be any closer I would need surgury to get it into my skull.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same problem on Galaxy S20 5g Europe