cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Astronaut

S20 Face Processing/Smoothing

Hey everyone. I have an S20 FE, but I have seen reports that this is an issue that plagues the whole lineup. 
Check out these two pictures: 

Stock Camera

Gcam

They were both taken on the same phone. Notice how on the first one the skin is pinker, brighter, and more smudged (check the stubble). The whole warmth of the face, the fine detail, the tone of the skin, all gone. 
This is with all of the samsung beauty modes turned off, and is evident of the processing that happens whenever it detects a face. Seriously, try it. Put a face in the frame and you'll see the exposure over that face 'pop in' making it bright and smudgy. 
I get that a lot of Samsung photo processing is a stylistic choice (oversaturation and sharpness), but please give us the option to disable the face processing. 
I'd love to see how other people are faring on other s20 models, and if there has been any change with the 3.0 update.
4 REPLIES 4
Astronaut

Re: S20 Face Processing/Smoothing

I actually think the sensor itself is fine, the filter is just crappy.The purpose of the 32mp is to pixel bin it down to 8mp, which leads to a better image. Try using night mode also, it helps a lot with the smoothing, and makes things much sharper (I haven't had an issue with focusing, I think its just the processing thats messing with your image).
Astronaut

Re: Re: Re: S20 Face Processing/Smoothing

I didn't mean that I had any filters on, I meant that samsung has a filter that you can't turn off, thats built into the camera app. go ahead and try gcam and see the difference
Astronaut

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: S20 Face Processing/Smoothing

that is one long sentence 😅 what are you saying? the sensor is different?
Astronaut

Re: Re: S20 Face Processing/Smoothing

My reply to you is a separate comment sorry!