cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

S20+ Moisture Detected / Not Charging

TLDR; Bought a new S20+ end of June. Within 3 weeks the USB-C port got increasingly temperamental until it just completely died. Replaced at store within 30 day replacement window. Now just outside the 30day period, the 2nd unit is beginning to have the same charge port issues. 

Long Version:
I bought a new S20+ around the end of June coming from a Galaxy S8 that survived ~3 years in my care, no problems. On day 1, I noticed the new S20+ didn't charge nearly as fast as I expected "Superfast Charging" should with the 25w charger & cable that came with the phone, but chalked it up as ambitious marketing that didn't live up to the hype and didn't suspect anything inherently wrong.

A few days later, I charged it with my old S8's 'Fast Charger' and noticed the notifications panel now said 'Fast Charging' instead of the 'Cable Charging' it had always said. I thought, "hmm, I wonder if its supposed to say 'SuperFast Charging' at some point?". Down the rabbit hole of research, I learned it *should* say SuperFast, Fast, or Cable Charging depending on how its charging. Both settings had been turned on in charging settings the entire time, cleaned the port many times, bought multiple new cables and OEM 25w chargers with OEM cables, but the phone very rarely SuperFast charged with the charger&cable provided, and 90% of the time was only 'Cable Charging' or 'Fast Charging' *sometimes* with S8 charger, but would typically do 'cable charging' with that charger too.

Nearing the 30day return window, it got to the point where it would only charge with the cable inserted a particular side up, and not the other way around. It would give an incessant 'Moisture Detected' warning when it 100% had *not* been exposed to moisture at any point. While plugged in, it would repeatedly make a connecting and disconnecting sound over and over again, until eventually, it just wouldn't recognize any cable or charger I had. Took it back, replaced for a new device. 

Now the new unit is just outside the 30days replacement window, and its started to have similar issues. Rarely ever 'Superfast Charging' anymore while this unit did consistently for the first 3 weeks or so. 'Cable Charging' only for the past 2 weeks,  when it will even recognize a charger at all. Sometimes I have to try multiple different cables, chargers and cable orientation to get it to acknowledge the charger. There's a perpetual 'Moisture Detected' notification in the panel, and it warns of moisture detected and beeps about it when plugged in as well. Currently on 8%, and I can't charge it at all because of the 'Moisture Detected' alert.

I can't imagine its due to environment, even though I do understand:  2 units, same problem, the obvious culprit would be user error. But this isn't my first Galaxy device or USB-C device, I have a perfect track record of *never* damaging a phone, not even a cracked screen, and I always get 2-3 years out of a device before choosing to upgrade. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary here. It's something about these units. 

Rundown:
-S20+ / Android 10 /One UI 2.5 / All updates and patches current as of 9/3/20
-Never been exposed to moisture. Again, had my S8 for *years* in the same environment (NY/NJ), never a 'Moisture Deteced' issue even once. 
-Tried clearing USB settings/cache, no change.
-Rebooting to Safe Mode while plugged in didn't do anything.
-*Did Not* factory reset yet because it's a headache and I haven't seen 1 instance in a forum of this problem actually being resolved by a factory reset. Obviously the next step if something else isn't recommended. 
-Don't own a wireless charger, which some people with this phone have settled for, but seriously, how is that a solution?? A port shouldn't die in a month, especially on a $1200 phone. 

If anyone has any input, I'm certainly open to it. Really don't want to have to change phones for a third time in 2 months.  Galaxy user for nearly a decade, but this is the last straw. Prices go up every year, yet quality goes down. 
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: S20+ Moisture Detected / Not Charging

Wow! That's a lot of trouble with the new Galaxy S20+ phone. I have been eager to get one, but after reading the problems on here with them, particularly yours, I'm not getting one now. I'm currently an S10 user. Won't be making the trade up.
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Re: S20+ Moisture Detected / Not Charging

Yea, its absurd. Frankly, i'm regretting the S20+ purchase. I never had a single issue with my Galaxy S8 in this regard. While I hadn't taken either the first or second(current) S20+ into *any* moisture environments at all as I'd just spent a ton of $$$$ on the thing and I'm always paranoid for at least the 1st year of a new phone purchase, I used to bring my S8 into frequent contact with moisture/water later in its life and never once had a 'moisture detected' warning or charging issue. I never even knew that warning existed as it never occurred on my S8.

As the S8 aged past year 1.5 and I didn't care anymore if it got damaged and needed replacing, I grew confident in it's water resistance capabilities. I'd take it poolside and check it with wet hands, use it in the rain, rinse it under the faucet after returning from the beach, etc, but never had an issue. All *terrible* ideas, but calculated recklessness. Towel it off, blow out the charge port NES cartridge style, plug it in, charge it up, no problem.

The S20+ on the other hand, someone pours a glass of water on the other side of the room and suddenly the S20+ is like "WHOA, WHOA WHOA, buddy. I've detected moisture 15' away, no more charging for you!" Its puzzling if its legitimately detecting moisture and not a bug of some sort. It's a logical and useful protection feature in theory, but its waaaay too sensitive on the S20+ or something. Or, a hardware/software defect of some sort.
Highlighted
Astronaut

Humidity seems to worsen this moisture warning problem on my phone, here in SW Florida humidity is extreme.  I flatened the end of a tooth pick to make it soft like a brush, moistened that with 90% isopropyl alcohol, used that to clean lent and debris from charging port, blasted port with canned air (dust off) and no more moisture error . It might be necessary  to clean the connector on the cable as well. Last resort might be a wireless charger, that also worked for me. Good luck!

Highlighted
Constellation

I am in bone-dry California; tried canned air, new charger cable.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Update: Apologies for these lengthy posts. Trying to document thoroughly as this situation develops so others can learn from/avoid my issue.

So, it feels like it *has* been a more humid summer here than past years for what its worth, so there's that.

I did something similar to last commenter and fashioned a delicate wooden 'brush' from a matchstick to clean the port with 97% isopropyl. Came out clean as far as lint or debris. Slight graying on the tip of the wood 'brush' though, which could indicate oxidation of some sort was removed by the alcohol, which blows my mind. The only moisture exposure to possibly to cause this, is in the air.

After alcohol cleaning, I put the phone in a zip lock overnight, filled with a dozen or so large silica desiccant packets you find in new electronics and sneaker boxes which absorb moisture.

Next morning after its isopropyl pedicure and desiccant pouch slumber, plugged the S20+ into 25w SuperFast charger....and it started SF Charging!! That was a few days ago and only last about a day. Currently back to just 'Cable Charging'. ::sigh:: It's been hit or miss. Sometimes it'll start SF charging, and then just stop charging without any indication at all. Other times it'll start SF Charging, stop, then start up again on its own and make an audible connection alert, and it'll continue cycling in this loop every 3 seconds forever until I unplug it, flip the cable around, plug back in,, then I get uninterrupted 'Cable charging'. 😒 So its trying to SF Charge, only with the cable turned a specific way around (with all cables, OEM and 3rd party) but something's telling it to abort, and try again, repeatedly. Flipped around the other way, 'cable charging' works fine (with all cables). 🤔

Not sure if the alcohol cleaning or the dessicant packet ziplock (or both) was the remedy. Will have to try each method individually with a period of time between them to isolate which temporarily solved it.

Its definitely not a cable/charger and is certainly the phone itself. All chargers/cables behave the same way. The phone is the variable. Its a challenge at this point. Next step is to get a humidity meter, check my home and office and start doing some science I guess??

Again, I'm in the Northeast US, which we're technically considered "sub-tropical", but its not the Amazon Rainforest here, nor even Florida. I find it hard to believe the humidity in the air should be causing these issues or that it's a totally acceptable issue. Past Galaxy phones, no issue. Wife's iPhone X, same environment as me, no issues. What makes the S20+ so particularly vulnerable to humidity that it can't charge properly in a relatively mild climate?? Is nobody else is NY/NJ having this issue with the S20+?? It can't just be me. I don't live in a sauna.

Maybe the USB-C port on the S20+ isn't plated with a corrosion resistant metal? Will oxidation cause this issue, or should the sensor only pick up 'actual' moisture in the port (of which there is none)? I don't understand it.
Highlighted
Astronaut

I haven't the noteworthy ultra and it is doing the same thing here in NC. I haven't cleaned it and put it in a bag of rice to soak up the moisture. I never had any problems out of any my my other galaxys like I am having with this one. And the only way I am able to charge my phone is wireless and it is super slow. The bad thing is my phone allowed me to charge it with the cord last night and when I took it off the charger the moisture notification came on and has been on all day. I am at my wit's end atm and am running out of ideas atm

Highlighted
Constellation

its weird im having the same exact issues. A certain charger will make it go "moisture detected" even tho phone is dry n wire is dry. Which is not the oem wire. But with the oem wire i rarely get super fast charge like you said i have to flip the wire and connect it upside down to get it to fast super charge. And its not always working either. Usb disconnects sometimes aswell its a brand new phone.

Highlighted
Astronaut

My S20+ is only charging wirelessly (slowly) since yesterday. No spills/drops and only slightly humid conditions. The Moisture warning and alerts if plugged continue since I first saw this yesterday morning. Already been a huge headache. Samsung is directing me to an ubreakifixit place to look into warranty issues.

#deadS20+chargingport

Samsung, please help!

-Ken

Highlighted
Astronaut

UPDATE: Worth mentioning, I have not encountered the actual "Moisture Deteced" water drop symbol notification for at least a week or more, even though the charging issues that accompany it have certainly persisted all along. I still have not attained any sustained 'SuperFast Charging' since that 1 full day it worked after initial alcohol cleaning and the overnight stay inside the dessicant packet filled ziplock. Since then, no 'Moisture Detected' warning BUT still continuous charging issues explained previously. So now it doesn't even provide an excuse as to why it refuses to 'Superfast Charge', is just doesn't do it, even though its no longer warning of moisture and hasn't been for some time. 🤷🏼