cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S20+ USB Type-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter Muting Media

I'm using a Comsol USB Type-C to 3.5mm Adaptor with my S20+ and having an issue with media being repeatedly muted.

Music will play fine for a song or two (if I'm lucky), then media volume suddenly mutes, with the volume slider appearing on screen showing that the media volume is muted, but the music track is NOT paused.

I press the volume up button once, volume returns to normal, and the music will play again. Then a few minutes later, the media volume is muted again (the music track is still playing), only this time, pressing the volume up button does nothing. I have to actually unplug the adaptor and plug it back in to be able to play the music again.

This cycle repeats over and over, the same each time.

The same cycle happens even when there is no audio playing, the volume slider appears saying volume is muted, I have to unplug the adaptor etc. Then sometimes if I leave it alone for while, the volume unmutes itself and goes back to normal.

I'm having this issue using headphones and using the AUX cord in my car. I've tried restarting my phone, looking at all the sound settings on both my phone and the apps I'm playing audio from (Spotify, YouTube, Audible),and searching Google, but have found no solution.

I mainly use the adaptor for connecting to my car's AUX cord (I don't have Bluetooth) and it's a pain having to unplug the cord all the time while I'm driving. I have ordered a Bluetooth receiver for my car that I'm waiting for in the mail, which hopefully solves the problem, but I'm looking for a fix for this issue in the meantime.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S20+ USB Type-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter Muting Media

Hi there! Have you tried a different adapter with the phone? Do you experience this issue when the adapter is not connected and audio is playing? Can you test the adapter on another device?

Highlighted
Constellation

Im having the EXACT problem with my new S20, its reeeally starting to annoy me. Ive also tried everything under the sun - changed all settings, restarted, uninstalled Spotify ect.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for the information. Have you been able to test different headphones with the adaptor to see if the symptoms still continue?

Highlighted
Astronaut

I am having the same issue with 2 different adaptors.  Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Highlighted
Constellation

I am also having this exact issue with my new Samsung s20 using a USB C to 3.5mm audio jack adapter.

It also happens on my wife's Google Pixel 2, so it's not a Samsung-specific issue. After auto muting, the Pixel will unmute after a few minutes. 

I've read in other forums that an adapter not having a built-in DAC (digital to analog converter) causes issues, but this seems to be that it won't play at all - not what we're experiencing... common sense suggests it wouldn't play at all if this was the issue? https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Note10/USB-Type-C-to-3-5mm-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/m-p/814199#M32...

On the flipside, I'm attempting to play it through an AUX on a pretty old system, so maybe no built-in DAC in the adapter is an issue?

A few people say this adapter (link below) fixes the DAC issue, but I'm not so sure it will fix ours. I've forked out enough cash on leads that ultimately are useless in the past so loathe to buy this one and find the issue continues. Apparently Samsung sells one itself too. Can anyone shed some more light on this? 

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Adapter-JSAUX-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B085NSYXVC#aw-udpv3-customer-re...

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

You're going need to purchase Samsung's OEM adapter 

USB-C Headphone Jack Adapter
https://k7wz8.app.goo.gl/sF2cSy9keGNwLP6P8

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks @SJohnson - are you sure this will fix the issue? What does the Samsung adapter have that the others don't? 

Apologies for all the questions, just don't want to buy it to find the issue continues... 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Yes, I was given a microphone to use on my note 10 plus and the third party dongle they gave me did not work. I swapped it out for Samsung's OEM dongle and it worked