Original topic:

S20 Ultra 5G Camera Focus or Scan Barcodes

(Topic created: 08-03-2021 04:45 PM)
-Candlelight-
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

My S20 Ultra 5G will not focus on objects that are close (say about ten inches or closer).  I have seen that this is an issue for this model, so have just lived with it, sometimes holding my camera far away and using the zoom to get in close when needed.  I've lived with it until now.  I got one of those 23andMe DNA test kits and need to scan the barcode on the test tube to register it.  Since the barcode has to be scanned from within the 23andMe app (using the S20's camera), my work-around doesn't work.  I'm stuck being unable to scan the barcode.  In the past, I've read every board I could find and tried every workaround that I could find (yes, I've tried resetting the camera) and I went through one possible fix that was very extensive and took about 45 minutes to go through (it didn't involve disassembling the phone or lenses or anything, it was all via software.  Anyway, NOTHING has worked.  Now I really need it.  The Android Version is 11 and it's updated to the latest security patch for July 1, 2021.  Any ideas for this very expensive phone that hasn't worked from the beginning?  Thanks!

3 Replies
Smew
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

Have you tried a different combination of aspect ratio/Lighting to improve the focus?

I don't think the stock camera can scan barcodes, do you mean QR code?

Fyi you can report software issues through the Samsung Members app!

0 Likes
-Candlelight-
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks for the reply. Yes, when I'm just using the camera for normal pictures, I've tried different aspect ratios, lighting (including the flash), and other things, to no avail.  My work-around, when just taking pictures, has been to back away from the subject about two feet and use the zoom to get close (a clunky work-around).  The problem that I have here is I'm inside the 23andMe app and it's using the camera to scan the barcode, so I'm unable to zoom in from a distance.  The camera just won't focus when the phone is close enough to fill the box in the 23andMe box.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
Mine on a11 isnt good either i have to edit pics they have no color blurry in galaxy browser theres a qr scanner and think on google chrome?
0 Likes