cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S20 Ultra Camera Issues / Horrible Autofocus

Samsung, 

I got my phone on March 4th and my reason for purchashing the S20 Ultra was the camera. After using it for a few days, I must say that the camera quality is absolutely horrible. I am honestly embarassed to share the pictures I take using this phone over my Pixel 4XL. I have a few more days remaining to request a return but I am hoping I will get some answers on when Samsung plans on addressing these issues. What is further concerning me is whether this is a software issue or a hardware one. The silence from Samsung leads me to think its the latter. I have contacted your support a few times and they are the worst to work with. Not once did I get a decent answer when I surfaced this issue to their attention. Everyone states that the issues will be resolved soon but absolutely no ETA is provided. I understand that this phone has only been out for a few days but a ballpark ETA on when the issue will be addressed is the least that your customers deserve. 

Here a few shots showing highlighting my very point:

pic1.pngPic2.png

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: S20 Ultra Camera Issues / Horrible Autofocus

Exactly my point.  Adressed  different Sammy advisors. Through fb,  store  etc. And they are all like its the very first thing, bug  they have heart about the unit 

Highlighted
Astronaut

If you're using the high MP setting then you are going to see blurring happen a short distance away from the focal point because of the narrow depth of field that is created in this mode. It's a physics thing and nothing really software can help with

Highlighted
Asteroid

Ok, here is a low MP shot taken after 5 tries, this was the best I could get. Is this a physics thing because my Pixel 4XL and iPhone 11 Pro Max disagree. 

Now if I have to take a "10 steps to get a shot right everytime with your S20 Ultra!" course, I much rather leverage my EOS 7D II. My point is with all the AI Samsung touts about, this is a horrible result for a $1,400 phone that was sold primarily on its ability to take phenominal pictures. 

Pic3.png

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Here I come to save the day....

Ok in the interim here's how to take closeup and macroshots with the Ultra. With much testing I was finally able to surpass my S10 for real close up shots like of bugs for example.

1) Set main lens to 2x zoom, this is critical to get around the edge blurring. Make sure you're set at the low megapixel setting.

2) Find the the optimum distance to where you get the most close up detail while the camera can still be able to focus - you will have to tap and lock the focus. With more time and practice you should be able to get it right faster without much fuss.

3) Even after the focus is locked you might have to experiment with moving the camera ever so slightly further or closer - this is mainly more for macroshots of bug size objects. You shouldn't have this much fuss with taking a closeup pic of a phone sized object.

I'm not on my PC so I don't have the time to post the same pics from the S10 tonight but I can assure you that after close inspection on my PC monitor that the S20 ultra was able to beat out the S10 in picture quality and detail in every pic but there is a learning curve with the new phone and lenses. The macroshot of the stinkbug below the S20U definitely had much more clear detail than I could get with the S10 and I've been using the S10 since launch day.

20200314_205123.jpg

20200314_200133.jpg

20200314_200614.jpg

20200314_223534.jpg

Keep in mind that all the pics above are in low light excep the first one and I know the last pic shows blurring on the left but I was focusing strictly on the stinkbug only, the S10 didn't do as good. Wish I was on my PC and had the time to post the S10 pics for comparison. After a week of using and learning the S20U along side the S10 I was consistently taking better pics with the S20U, closeup, macro, long distance, etc. But there's a learning curve to it.

I will say that the focus speed and hunting under certain conditions while filming definitely needs to be addressed. If my tips above helped you, please pass the word along or link here as I just don't have the time to reply to every thread on the internet!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Here I just remembered I have an old SD card here....I just took this with my S20Ultra... (I don't know why the forum is rotating them)

20200315_222926.jpg

20200315_222954.jpg

20200315_223043.jpg

20200315_223158.jpg

Don't be afraid to even try the 3x zoom.

Asteroid

Nice work @Emig5m. Using your recommendation did produce better results. I still don't  think the fuss should be required. The AF should be able to accomodate these conditions. Here is a shot I took following your recommendation, its better: 

20200315_200747.jpg