Original topic:

S20 Ultra (Exynos) random choppy video in social media apps after installing Android 11 & UI 3.0

(Topic created on: 1/15/21 7:29 AM)
Bretto
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

After updating from Android 10 with UI 2.5 to the latest Android 11 with UI 3.0, watching any video clip in most social media apps now suffer random bouts of choppiness. It can be playing smoothly then all of a sudden for no reason the video starts going choppy. It jumps and stutters all over the place in the video clip.

Appears worse during and after volume is adjusted while watching the clip. Not sure if the new volume slider overlay has anything to do with it.

(Btw, I hate the new volume overlay. Too much like Apple's and has less fine tuning slidability compared to the way the volume slider overlay used to be at the top of the screen)

Anyway, this choppy video happens in Instagram, Twitter Live, Periscope, TikTok, etc etc.

Again, this only started happening after installing the new firmware.

I have cleared each app's cache and data, but that didn't fix it.

I have even cleared the phone's cache and that hasn't fixed the problem.

Looking online I see this was an issue in Android 11 beta with Pixel phones back in June 2020 and it was mentioned a fix was coming for that.

I have since seen others mention in Reddit forums that they too suffer the same choppy video issue on their Samsung S20 Ultra (Exynos version), while those on the Snapdragon version aren't seeing a problem.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

5 Replies
AlexMasa
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I've also got the same issue - it mostly happens when the volume overlays on the screen. 

Bretto
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Doing a factory reset doesn't fix the issue either.

useraBHAv5l0Yg
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Same exact problem... Samsung help or supply new s21 phones.... just been having endless issues with the full of bugs s20 ultra. Ridiculous!

userkbYntrBtuV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I have a Samsung A71-5G.

immediately after update TikTok videos play for maybe 15-30 seconds then freeze!
0 Likes
Bretto
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

FIXED!

The latest firmware update (available from around Feb 7th 2021) seems to have fixed the issue.
Build number: RP1A.200720.012.G988BXXUSCUA3

0 Likes