cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S20 Ultra /Trade-In/Verizon

This morining I went to pre-order a S20 Ultra (verizon version) and trade in my S10+.  The trade in offer is supposed to be $600.  After selecting the $200 worth of credit on various items and going to check out, I clicked pay in full as I do not want to finance.  When you pay in full the trade in offer drops from $600 to $310 because it is the Verizon version.  I tried the same exact order using the unlocked phone and the full $600 was applied.  I spent about and hour on the phone with an outsourced customer service trying to resolve this.  Apparently it was escelated to some sort of management and should hear from them within 2-3 days.  I asked to be transfered to speak with someone within the United States numerous times and was denied.  I am not very happy!!!! I should not have to lose $290 on a trade in just because I'm paying in full instead of using Verizon's payment plan.  As much as I would really like this phone, Samsung will be losing at least one sale.  The reason I'm even considering purchasing a $1300 phone is because of the trade in program and the extra $200 in credit.  

20 REPLIES 20
Constellation

Re: S20 Ultra /Trade-In/Verizon

I have the same issue, but with AT&T Financing. I'd reluctantly be willing to do it for the trade in credit, and would pay it off immediately then with AT&T. The hitch for me is that with AT&T Financing, I cannot enroll in Premium Care and it's not a program available after purchase. I am not sure what I'll do on this.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I traded in my S9+ for the S10+ and I got a full $500 or $600 credit, dont remember the amount plus free Galaxy Buds.  Samsung will be losing a lot of customers if this is the case with all carriers.  I still have my original legacy unlimited data plan and refuse to change it.  Using Verizon's payment plan will kick me off the plan.  I absolutly refuse to purchase a phone through Verizon and absolutely refulse to pay $300 more just for paying in full!

Highlighted
Constellation

Chat confirmed that I should not be able to get the $600 trade in credit for a S10 Plus on this preorder for an S20 Ultra (AT&T) unless I choose AT&T FInancing, and that I cannot choose AT&T FInancing and also enroll in Premium Care. Moments later, on the 10th+ try, I was able to. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Asteroid

Same here.  I wanted to upgrade S10 with $600 credit and pay the rest.  But with ATT, I have to be stuck with financing, credit check and upgrade fee.  Samsung will lose my whole family as customers for S20 upgrade by doing this with ATT.  I was able to upgrade last year without being stuck to Financing option.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Same here I ordered a S20 Plus to take advantage of the $600 on my 10 Pluis. trade in. But I do not want

to be loked into verizon any way shape or form, $35.00 activation then 2 years under there lock. Last year you still got the full trade value even if you paid in full. But I can do an unlocked one right from Samsung and get the full amount. Come on Samsungs no your in Bed with Verizon? Just to get thenm more money and locked customers. Why should I buy from Samsung then, I ordered ine but only to hold one after last years farce. But I'm seriously thinking it's too much to spend now.

@Mpapa0677 wrote:

This morining I went to pre-order a S20 Ultra (verizon version) and trade in my S10+.  The trade in offer is supposed to be $600.  After selecting the $200 worth of credit on various items and going to check out, I clicked pay in full as I do not want to finance.  When you pay in full the trade in offer drops from $600 to $310 because it is the Verizon version.  I tried the same exact order using the unlocked phone and the full $600 was applied.  I spent about and hour on the phone with an outsourced customer service trying to resolve this.  Apparently it was escelated to some sort of management and should hear from them within 2-3 days.  I asked to be transfered to speak with someone within the United States numerous times and was denied.  I am not very happy!!!! I should not have to lose $290 on a trade in just because I'm paying in full instead of using Verizon's payment plan.  As much as I would really like this phone, Samsung will be losing at least one sale.  The reason I'm even considering purchasing a $1300 phone is because of the trade in program and the extra $200 in credit.  

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@Mpapa0677 

I believe you are getting confused when it asks you for your carrier. It isn't asking you what type of phone you are trading in, but what type of phone are you buying. If you choose Verizon then Samsung indeed will change the $600 trade-in credit to $310 and they will ship you a Verizon branded phone. The correct choice would be the unlocked version. Unless you were looking to get a Verizon branded phone and still keep the $600 credit. 

Edit: Okay I see you wanted to preorder the Verizon version. So if you wanted a carrier-branded phone along with the full pre-order bonus, you would need to select the finance option. You could either select the finance option and pay it off immediately or there is a second route I'm not allowed to discuss publicly so I sent you a personal message about the second option 

Highlighted
Constellation

Could you message me as well? Smiley Happy<3

@SJohnson wrote:

@Mpapa0677 

I believe you are getting confused when it asks you for your carrier. It isn't asking you what type of phone you are trading in, but what type of phone are you buying. If you choose Verizon then Samsung indeed will change the $600 trade-in credit to $310 and they will ship you a Verizon branded phone. The correct choice would be the unlocked version. Unless you were looking to get a Verizon branded phone and still keep the $600 credit. 

Edit: Okay I see you wanted to preorder the Verizon version. So if you wanted a carrier-branded phone along with the full pre-order bonus, you would need to select the finance option. You could either select the finance option and pay it off immediately or there is a second route I'm not allowed to discuss publicly so I sent you a personal message about the second option 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

When looking at trade in offers, yes there seem to be a catch. When you select a carrier model, for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint it clearly states that the enhanced trade in value is with that carrier financing (but not with T-Mobile and US Cellular). I have no idea why that is, and I can only guess it's because of carrier demands. If you guys don't want to or can't use an unlocked version, after the one time upgrade fee, there is nothing stopping you from paying off the installment plan immediately. 

Of course there is also that protection plan issue. Unfortunately I don't have a better answer. I don't think Samsung support will be able to do anything about this. 

To get the $600 (or even $700 for some phones) trade in value with AT&T, Verizon or Sprint you have three options:

1. Buy and use unlocked if it's supported.

2. Get a carrier financing plan and pay it off immediately. 

3. Get a carrier financing plan and pay it over time, Verizon offer monthly credits and carriers offer their own insurance of course.

BTW. This was also the case for the Note 10. I looked at both AT&T and Unlocked in August and there was no enhanced trade in offer on the AT&T model, so I bought the Unlocked one. Works fine.

Annotation 2020-02-22 001735.png

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks. It still does not make sense why I have to sign up for financing to get the $600 credit for ATT.  I should be allowed to pay in full.