JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S20 Ultra camera crack

(Topic created: 05-17-2020 04:11 PM)
userzSvVcMtVUD
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Does every single Galaxy s20 Ultra get the crack in the back of the camera? Will a camera protector help it from doing so? I use an otterbox defender series pro case and so far, so good. I'm getting my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

658 Replies
Oneblackwing
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Have my s20 in an Otterbox defender, it was sitting on my desk face down. Used it last night to take some up close shots of my garden. 

Go to take a picture this morning, and see this. https://i.imgur.com/ffqt58Fm.jpg

I live alone, and this makes it so my phone cannot zoom more then 5x. 

Local repair (an hour away) is out of stock of repairs until Covid passes.ffqt58Fm

user0xwFDhrONZ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm starting to wonder if Samsung might just recall all the S20 ultra models and brick the line.

Why have a £1199 cellphone with crippled autofocus, this is obscene.

Perhaps due to a hardware limitation this will never be resolved. The best bet looks like the S20+ or even the gaming phones being launched later this year. Not many carriers will offer these gaming phones on contract which takes the biscuit.

0 Likes
userSZSKvFormr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Oh no...  today I realized my camera lense so does have a hairline crack going from side to side.  About mid way on the lense.  The vrack doesn't go in front of the actual lense tho.  But i never dropped my phone.  So I came to the forum and noticed this has been a issue with alot of phones. 

Oneblackwing
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

As states, I have never dropped my phone. Even if I had, it's in the OtterBox defender case. 

My best guess is temperature changes. I live in a cold climate, and indoors can be quite drastic change.

0 Likes
mchivara
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Unfortunately, a crack is never covered under any form of manufacturer's warranty so there would definitely be a charge to repair the camera. You can either contact 1800-SAMSUNG or take the phone to a Samsung repair center to service it.

Oneblackwing
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

No repair center can do it due to lack of stock from corona virus, I called several. I can't be without a phone for a few weeks, so I'll have to wait for it for now. (Also already contacted the repair service, as I mentioned, no stock!)

0 Likes
laugher
Halo
Options
Galaxy S20

@Emig5mits possible that the glass is fine for drops and that just goes to show that for people like us with fractured, cracked or hole punched screens, we must be using power tools to get the thing to break!

My theory is that there is a batch of (a) poorly made phones, (b) phones made out of engineering standards or (c) zoom lens that are misbehaving based on firmware or software glitch are causing these issues for us. Without any contribution from Samsung, its difficult to diagnose.

They can't just shut people out when there are so many occurences of this happening with the flagship phone. They need to not only take away people's phones for assessment but replace our phones to repair their now-damaged reputation while they figure out what is happening with their processes.

Herbyjames
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey there, Same problem, I've had my phone 2 weeks now and I noticed earlier this week that there was a crack running from the small hole in the plate (microphone? down past the lenses and accross part of the 100x zoom I havent dropped it etc. and only noticed it when turning the phone slightly so who knows how long it has been there. I think its important that we be as specific as possible when referring to the crack and it's positioning so that we can get clues to the cause. this would help our cases in aebitration. ( I think we all signed an fine print agreement to not sue) but they should cover the cost of repair if this is a common issue. I wonder how many people out there have phones with similar issues and don't know as it is hairline and hard to see.

laugher
Halo
Options
Galaxy S20

I had my wife targeted for the Note20+ upgrade. I'm scratching those plans until my issues get resolved satisfactorily. i.e. new phone replacement. There are no guarantees right now that if we accept Samsung's official position to just get the glass fixed, this will not happen again. My wife's current iPhone 11 Pro Max has a glass at the back of her phone and I know she has dropped it several times already. ZERO fracture. Maybe those glass rings are what Samsung needs but seriously, their engineering is a BIG FAIL in my view at the moment and their Quality Assurance (QA) is a BIG FAIL as well. Their QA has failed to pick up faults in the design and engineering. I wouldn't trust anything they make. Right now, the only saving grace for them is to replace my phone so I feel better and if the glass don't crack by the time the Note20+ comes out, I might reconsider getting her one.

Xavier_A
Product Expert
Options
Galaxy S20

Unfortunately, a crack are not covered under any form of manufacturer's warranty so there would definitely be a charge to repair the camera.  Here' s the link to help repair device : https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/