JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S20 Ultra camera crack

(Topic created: 06-23-2020 04:03 PM)
userzSvVcMtVUD
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Does every single Galaxy s20 Ultra get the crack in the back of the camera? Will a camera protector help it from doing so? I use an otterbox defender series pro case and so far, so good. I'm getting my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

658 Replies
userRJ0VFDC5YJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Just had this happen today. I wear a fanny pack to keep this phone safe, and somehow the lense still cracks. What are you doing to do Samsung? If you need inspiration, just think "what would Apple do?"

userN0g3FWzmEq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same issue, have never dropped my phone. Only noticed it this morning and it wasn't like that yesterday...

userxkcX2jaeDb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Broke in my pocket for no reason. Big hole in the glass and spiderweb. 

Hightower1291
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

This is happening to more than just the S20 Ultra, I have the S20 + and the same thing happened, I have never dropped the phone, its always in its own pocket, and I went to use the camera today only to see that the glass covering the main lens has a circular "explosion" like shatter in it... There is clearly a defect happening here... I hope Samsung steps up and recalls this!

Ecook22
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Bought a nice case with a camera cover, haven't dropped my phone a single time, and now I have this implosion into the glass. I've never seen such a gentle piece of junk. I've used samsung phones for about 10 years, but never had one break so easily. I use Samsung headphones, watches, even their sound bars.. You'd think they would reach out and try to fix this problem. Usually such great quality, just admit you guys messed up and recall this one. 

userMjSG2w0FLf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

less than a week after switching from iPhone to Samsung I've got the same problem. Haven't dropped it but somehow first one crack appeared and now a couple days later there are two cracks in the glass covering the camera. Very disappointing. 

userDa8ZY9lsHP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same here, no abuse, in a Samsung case, now I have a hairline crack across the lense.  This is garbage.

0 Likes
userEL3SX4nt3g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I don't understand why everybody have this problem. I got this camera protector from AliExpress and everything is great.

DSC03370.jpgDSC03374.jpg

0 Likes
laugher
Halo
Options
Galaxy S20

@userEL3SX4nt3g- that's great to hear you're having zero problems because you made the investment to protect your camera glass. Unfortunately, protecting the camera glass on phones is a completely NEW concept for the vast majority of people because I suspect, for the vast majority of us, we have never ever needed to do anything of the sort before. Least of all from Samsung's flagship phone!

Besides applying direct damage on the camera glass itself, the glass should be able to handle real world scenarios on how users use phones. i.e. it should not crack/fracture when charging overnight, placing the phone down on a table at your favorite coffee shop while you sip on triple shot grande lattes or even...dare I say, accidentally dropping it. Why do I add the last scenario to the mix? Because the front glass can withstand drops without fracture or cracks. That's why all the phone companies in the world right now put Corning Gorilla glass on their phones. It is now a given that the glass on phones not crack under drops and to highlight the point even further, that's why we have lots of phone reviewers dropping phones and then going to extremes to find a way to crack or scratch the phone on Youtube.

The fact that people are getting cracks, fractures, holes punched through the camera glass says one of two things;

1. The glass protecting the cameras are not designed for real world usage or there is a manufacturing fault causing the glass to break in certain batches of the phones
  2. People are forcibly trying to crack the glass.

If you think about it, there must be a LOT of people trying to forcibly crack the camera glass on Samsung's flag ship phone if the glass is designed for real world usage and manufactured to design and architecture standards.

I would also suggest that given we have Youtuber's already showing that the S20 Ultra can withstand a drop test, it would speak volumes that for so many users to experience this, there must be batches that are faulty.

As a result, we shouldn't need to buy protection such as the AliExpress glass protection you kindly shared with us but we must all now consider it because of the faults Samsung has introduced in either the design or manufacturing stage.

For the record, I've only ever applied tempered glass protection on an old Samsung phone in the past - think it was either the Galaxy S Edge or one of the older S phones. I found out later that Samsung phones are built so well that dropping a phone without any tempered glass protection on a concrete floor doesn't do it any damage at all. You would generally need to seriously throw the phone hard against a brick wall/concrete floor for the front glass to shatter. If you just drop the phone, I've found from the 4 previous Galaxy flagship phones I've had in the past, there might be a scratch on the glass and that's to be expected but cracks and holes punched through???!!

This is all a repeat of discussions already had but I'll add one final point. Most people don't like spending time in Samsung forums. I, for one rarely post anything here but in the past few months, I've been promoted to "regular contributor" status because I am sorely disapppointed with Samsung's overall lack of executive action and their poor response to customers. There are exceptions but usually, these occur only when you escalate the issue or you take them to court!

user5XRBoSxQ5w
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I just bought an S20 Ultra last week, and low and behold I see a hairline scratch across the large camera lens while seeing it in the light hitting it the right way. I was devastated.

This phone was put in an Otterbox enclosure and was never dropped or mishandled. How the heck did this happen?