Original topic:

S20 Ultra not receiving calls

(Topic created: 05-02-2020 01:32 PM)
userJmvrAskEUn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi

I am really annoyed with this phone for the price.

Great for internet etc, but wont receive calls constantly have to restart it, then its fine for 10 mins and drops again. I am with Spark NZ definitely no account problem and others in my house have no issues. SIM works fine in my S9.

Who wants to turn their phone on and off every 15 mins? Callers either get a message saying call person you called cant be reached, or it goes to voicemail. Samsung you need to do a bug fix for this !!. Seems to be a common problem across many carriers

79 Replies
userOJCctOoseW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have same problem with samsung s20 ultra 5g . Feel very annoyed and disappointed with this phone . Can't receiving call and message . Everytime need to restart phone only can receiving call , message and who missed call just now . Smiley Sad

userDOpx4hM7Ni
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Same here.
phone cannot receive calls or sms for about 50% of incoming calls. Everthing else works fine. 
I have tried everything ranging from new SIM to even a new phone. All possible settings and resets. 
What came the closest for me to a solution was resetting settings. (I set up the new phone using Smart switch and backed up my data from S9+) Then phone was fine untill i connected to a wifi again. Then the phone was suddenly unreachable again for most incoming calls and texts.

0 Likes
userDOpx4hM7Ni
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

A small uppdate. 

So I have isolated the issue. When I do a settings reset the problem is non exiting until i log into a WiFi network. Any WiFi network. 

After that it will not matter if i turn WiFi of, the phone will be unreaceble for about 50% of incoming calls.

What could this possibly be? I refuse to believe that i had two phones both with the same hardware problems. 

userEE9LTGAFSA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey, I just want to tell you that we had exactly the same issue with Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra bought in Nordic Europe (but the phone IMEI originated from Poland).

Everything else was working fine but after an idle time, when phone was connected to any wifi, the phone was not able to recieve any calls and the calls went straight to the answering machine. This was in spite of the phone having full reception at that time. When we made an out call with the affected phone, then the phone was "unblocked" for some time, until the problem returned after another idle time.

I made multiple tests, changes of settings, resets and trying to narrow down the issue and I was not able to solve it. The factory reset seemed to make this issue less frequent until connected to wifi. It looks to me most likely like a firmware issue, not necessary a hardware issue. That is why you might see it in another phone with the same firmware installed.

We decided to return the phone, we lost money becasue the shop will not give us back the full amount of money for a phone that had a package seal broken.

Samsung support was was very unsupportive. I did not wanted to send it to service because

1) I am aware how difficult it might be reproduce this specific issue in the service;

2) who buys a new phone to just send it to service after a week of usage - where is Samsung Quality Assurance for new phones?

The bad thing is that we really like the phone camera and wanted to keep it.

Cheers and good luck

userEE9LTGAFSA
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey, I just want to tell you that we had exactly the same issue with Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra bought in Nordic Europe (but the phone IMEI originated from Poland).

Everything else was working fine but after an idle time, when phone was connected to any wifi, the phone was not able to recieve any calls and the calls went straight to the answering machine. This was in spite of the phone having full reception at that time. When we made an out call with the affected phone, then the phone was "unblocked" for some time, until the problem returned after another idle time.

I made multiple tests, changes of settings, resets and trying to narrow down the issue and I was not able to solve it. The factory reset seemed to make this issue less frequent until connected to wifi. It looks to me most likely like a firmware issue, not necessary a hardware issue. That is why you might see it in another phone with the same firmware installed.

We decided to return the phone, we lost money becasue the shop will not give us back the full amount of money for a phone that had a package seal broken.

Samsung support was was very unsupportive.

The bad thing is that we really like the phone camera and wanted to keep it.

Cheers and good luck

userogKbjL1RBv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I got the exactly same problem like you do and I am so disappointed in the deal. The price is too expensive but the product is not worth that price.

0 Likes
ZebNZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Having the same issue here with s20+ purchased NZ. Calls and SMS taking hours - days to come through.

useranGe5aVfSP
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Heya Zeb - did you ever manage to fix this issue?  I'm in Auckland on 2 Degrees, and sometimes just want to throw my S20+ out the window, due to its connection issues.

0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you for that information. This is a U.S. based forum and to get this issue resolved you will have to go to the region of origin of where the device was purchased. Here's a link to get to the correct forum. http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry 

0 Likes
userDOpx4hM7Ni
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you for your reply SamsungQue. 

But if you would have taken the time to read through the replies you would see that this is not a isolated case for one country but a glopal problem with your product. 

Plus you don't have a Icelandic site so i still hope you are doing your best and really looking into this. 

@MrQue wrote:

Thank you for that information. This is a U.S. based forum and to get this issue resolved you will have to go to the region of origin of where the device was purchased. Here's a link to get to the correct forum. http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry