JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S20 deleted almost all of my notes randomly

(Topic created: 02-02-2021 08:44 AM)
userZ8PebvH4bd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I checked my notes app today on my s20 and noticed that I only had 2 out of 20 notes in the app. I checked all around the app including the trash and I don't see the notes. I had applied a phone software update yesterday so I don't know if that could have caused my notes to get deleted. Is there anyway to restore them? I have a smart switch backup of my s20 from a few weeks ago but I don't know if that saves notes and if it does where would I look to find them.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Solution
Patriot1776JG
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S20
I would check smart switch. to find the file I would save your phone data again to see what the file is. but don't really save it. just a way to see the file

View solution in context

userZ8PebvH4bd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you @Patriot1776JG. I was able to locate where the notes saved in the backup and restore just the notes app from my old backup. I got the notes back but it was from a month ago which was the last time I backed my phone up. That is way better than no notes at all though lol. I'll need to remember to back up more often just in case something like this happens again.

Patriot1776JG
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S20
welcome
0 Likes
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

You might try this...  Go to   settings/apps/Samsung Notes/storage/   then clear cache...    see if notes reappear;  if not go back to same place and "clear data". -  -  Good luck!

Btw, I once researched using Samsung Notes, trying to figure out what is the best notes app to use on Samsung phones... I concluded that Evernote (which is free; although they have a premium paid subscription too)  seemed to be much better.   Something to think about for the future...

Be sure to click  " ✓ Accept as Solution"  when you find an answer that works for you. - Thanks!

0 Likes
RicD
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

Yes, Evernote is very good. For many years I have been a Premium user, now using OneNote. With Evernote a non-Premium user is greatly limited, sync two devices only, uploads of 60 MB a month. Also,  Evernote's yearly premium is expensive.

OneNote does not restrict the number of devices one is allowed syncing, nor amount of monthly uploads. Okay, OneNote downside your notes can quickly fill up your Microsoft OneDrive 5GB alloted space, thus you will may need spending $1.99 a month for 100 GB space. OneNote yearly $24.00 is 1/4-ish Evernote's yearly Premium. Recall, with Google after 15GB space is used their price is the same as OneDrive, $1.99 for 100GB.

Hope the above is helpful.

0 Likes
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20
You raise good points. I've used Evernote for years and have never paid them anything. I only use 2 devices... phone and pc; and I'm not a power user. I use it from time to time for whatever notes I have... From what I can remember, Evernote has a better tagging system.

I own Microsoft OneNote, but after my limited research, I concluded "for me" Evernote was better. It's great having choices! 👍
0 Likes
RicD
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Tags in OneNote are good as well. give the following a thought, begin a note title it tags. For each tag you desire add it to this note, but first preface each tag with the same symbol such as #. See where this is going, now for the note needing a tag add the symbol and tag: be consistent.

The big issue with tags is we often create a gazillion tags some with slight misspellings and variations. Too quickly we are managing tags not notes.

At one point within my Evernote managing tags grew in number overnight on their it seemed; LOL. The amount of tags became onerous, thus I deleted all tags. Good new, Evernote and OneNote search feature is very strong and fast. For my 10K+ notes not having tags I can quickly find required data, easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. Hope this gave you something interesting to contemplate.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@userZ8PebvH4bd Another thing to check is this:

1. Open Notes
  2. Click the 3 line menu
  3. Click on Old format notes. You may find your other notes there waiting to be converted. 
0 Likes
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

Here's one more tip as to where you can find your Samsung Notes, as long as your carrier is not Verizon.  Verizon does not let their customers use Samsung Cloud.  As far as I know, all other carriers do.  And providing you have used Samsung Cloud, all your notes "should be" saved there. - - On your phone or other device, log into your Samsung Cloud and see if you notes happen to be there.

I hope all your notes turn up!

Be sure to click  " ✓ Accept as Solution"  when you find an answer that works for you. - Thanks!

0 Likes