JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S20 fe 5g flickering when light hits the view finder

(Topic created: 04-23-2021 12:40 PM)
usernwoofeoWZ6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

My screen flickers and goes blank when sunlight hits the view finder on the phone. In the house or shade it doesn't do that. I can even use a flash light and point it at the view finder and it flickers and the screen goes blank.

59 Replies
usertJmMa84zce
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same Problem-- screen flickers and turns off in direct sunlight (even without adaptive brightness) when the screen is near full brightness.

FarmerTed
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I confirmed this on my 20FE.  I turned off the auto-adaptive brightness while inside, and turned the brightness all the way up.  No flicker and no screen shutoff.  I then turned the brightness down and went outside in direct sunlight.  Screen stayed on UNTIL I manually turned the brightness on full, then the screen shut off instantly.

FarmerTed
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

My phone just received an update.  I'm on AT&T:

Build: RP1A.200720.012.G781USQU3DUD4
Baseband: G781USQU3DUD4

It says it's the April 1, 2021 update, but I recall getting that update a few weeks ago. 

However, I did just test in full sunlight and the brightness cranked to full, but the screen did NOT turn off.

morganah
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Mine flickers also. Frustrating!
0 Likes
MrsErinM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Mine started doing this recently too! I noticed that it does it in sunlight. The UbreakIfix guy looked at me like I was crazy. I hope they get a fix soon. I just got this phone in like October.
0 Likes
Samsung_opvsEiT
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Same exact situation for me. Camera is useless outdoors.

0 Likes
TDub76
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Only started after last update this phone is only 3 months old
0 Likes
user2JdPcjlGBE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Been having the same issue! I thought it was linked to the fitbit app. But the phone and app worked fine until we went outside. Then the screen starts flickering and goes black. I've tried adjusting the brightness, but half the time I can't even GET to the brightness adjuster before the screen blacks out and I have to restart the phone. I cant play Pokémon Go, I can't look at Google, basically rn if I'm outside, I cant really use my phone. Sometimes I can get it to work for a bit, then I'll lock the screen and when I come back the lock screen will pop up in color, but once I unlock the phone, the screen goes black. I really hope they fix this soon, this phone is only 4 months old. 

Members_qU5WIqM
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Me too!! Started with the last update. Very very very frustrating! I have a S20FE

Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

To resolve the symptoms you are experiencing give these steps a try:

1. Access Settings
2. Scroll down and tap Software update
3. Tap Download and install
4. Complete the software update wizard as prompted

To temporarily disable Adaptive brightness pending the software update:

1. Open the notification panel/status bar on the device by swiping down twice from the top of the device
2. Tap the arrow in the notification panel to view the Brightness option
3. Toggle Adaptive Brightness off
4. Adjust the brightness level to the appropriate level

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.