cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S20 keeps freezing and restarting

Bought my S20 in March (4mo ago), three weeks ago it started randomly freezing and restarting itself. This was happening both when I was using the phone or when it was just sitting, not being touched. I put it in Safe Mode to eliminate any apps causing it. Still happened. I cleared the cache. Still happened. Did a factory reset. Still happened. Two weeks ago I took it back to Vodafone. They sent it to their Service Centre and had it for a fortnight. I got the phone back yesterday and was told it has been "tested" but no issue was found. Within 10hrs of receiving my phone back, when I went to double tap to open screen, the phone froze and auto-restarted. I sat it on the table, didn't touch it and it restarted again four times, in the next 5mins. The phone was not being used at the time, was sitting on a table. The fifth time the phone switched itself off and I had to use side button and volume down button to turn back on. Plugged phone into charger overnight, this morning phone had again switched itself off, even though plugged into power source with 100% battery. What is going on???? Needless to say I'll be returning to Vodafone today. I'm in Australia. 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: S20 keeps freezing and restarting

Now that Sounds annoying would not even know where to begin
Highlighted

try using ur phone in safe mode for couple days and see if the issue persists.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yep, have already tried that. Phone still freezes and restarts even in Safe Mode. I've now taken it back to Vodafone for a second time. From what I've read online, Samsung is aware of the issue but as yet don't know how to fix. Just an issue with the S20. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

does it still freeze up and restart?
Highlighted
Asteroid

so I have had the s20 ultra for a few months now. first time I had to take it back and get a new one because it kept restarting over and over and over and nobody knew why. I only had a few well known apps on my phone so all these ppl saying it's a rogue app and blah blah blah well couldn't figure it out. so I got it replaced. a month later it happens again on my 2nd ultra now 🙄
anyway long story short I figured out it was the app tic toc. I cleared the data from the app and cache and uninstalled it and now my phone works fine. it was restarting about 30 times just in a few short hours. so if you have tic toc dump the app immediately!
Highlighted
Asteroid

please tell me if you have the app and if uninstalling it works for you. good luck!
Asteroid

@Pântiedroppa  thanks for the heads up re: Tic Tok but I've never had that app on my S20. It's now back with Vodafone so wait and see. From what I've read online, Samsung is aware of the issue but don't have a fix yet. It's only an issue with S20s. If they replace my phone I'll be opting for the S9 and upgrading at a later date when another new model is released. Too risky to get another S20 by the sounds of it. 

Highlighted

download a samsung members app from galaxy store, and send the log. Samsung Technicians might find if there is anything wrong with the software

to upload your log, click

Get help -> scroll to the bototm -> Error reports -> either Always or Just this time` -> setting/system (maybe..?) -> fill in info -> you can attach video by selecting paper clip, and send logo with paper plane logo

Highlighted
Astronaut

bought my s20 about 5 months ago and the last 3 weeks or so it keeps freezing and restarting. some times I dont notice it cuz I'm not using it or sleeping but then it doesn't work cuz I have to put my pass code in before it restarts so I'm missing important messages and phone calls. about ready to throw it away and switch to apple