JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S20 service is with Metro by T-Mobile but IMEI is registered to AT&T?

(Topic created: 12-14-2022 10:10 AM)
samtasticcc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
This is such a weird scenario so I am hoping someone has a solution. 

I noticed my S20, which I have had since 2021, is still running on Android 10. Confused, I tried checking for updates and my phone says I am up to date, even though I know that is not the case. I contacted Samsung support and they said my IMEI is carrier locked with AT&T. I have never been an AT&T customer and I purchased this phone from a Metro by T-Mobile store. I checked my IMEI on another site and it confirms it is registered to AT&T. It also says my IMEI is clean.

However (and why I never questioned this until now is beyond me) my phone does display the AT&T logo when restarting instead of Metro, and there are a lot of AT&T related things shown on my phone (AT&T customer service text message confirmationsfor bill payments instead of Metro, navigating to "Settings > Software Update > 3 dots in upper right corner > Device Help" takes me to AT&T's website). Yet when I check my network operators, it shows Metro by T-Mobile, and my SIM card status reflects the same. 

Does anyone know how I can update this? This issue seems to be why I haven't been getting updates for nearly 2 years. 
4 Replies
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20
If your device is from AT&T and has their software then go to AT&T store and ask for a working sim card. Insert it into the phone and check for update. Keep updating until no more updates left. Since you haven't updated for quite a while there might be multiple updates. You might need to spend some time in the store. Alternatively if you have a friend with AT&T SIM card you can do the same as above(expect not doing to the store) .

samtasticcc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Samsung tried to have me upgrade through the start switch app but all it did was back up my phone. I didn't see anything else happen. is there something I am missing with smart switch?
0 Likes
samtasticcc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
thank you, I will give this a go!
msgdew
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

In smart switch click on 3 dots at top right side and it opens to a list, try  check for updates. If that doesn't work try next one and follow instructions in it. Forgot to mention that is the smart switch app on your pc connected to the phone.