cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S20 ultra 5g loses service

hey all my s20 ultra loses service, a circle with a line through it will appear and it will either come back or I need to restart the phone for it to come back.

Its on the telstra network in Australia, but my s10 5g didn't do this at all also had problems with charging the phone when I plugged the charger in it was like it was powered off and just wouldn't charge until a restart.

And the battery seems to drain really fast compared to my s10+ 5g - I'm only using 1440p res

Do i need a new phone or are other people having these same issues? Pretty bad for a 2000$ phone...

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: S20 ultra 5g loses service

Hi @usercNAumkdoj6 I hope you are doing well.

Thank you for this question. I understand you are having problems with your device at the moment and I would like to assist you to troubleshoot this problem. 

for your device, there's a high chance that the 5g in your area is not in full launch yet. you can call or message your service provider to check if they have coverage in your area.

if they don't have any 5g service in your area you can disable the 5g on the settings of your device by going to settings > connections > mobile networks > network mode and select LTE/4g on the settings. you can check the coverage of Telstra in your area once they have a posting that they have 5g signal in your area then you can turn the 5g back on.

for further assistance you can call 1-800-SAMSUNG or visit their support website in your region

hopefully, this will help with your problem

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" When you find an answer that works for you

Highlighted
Constellation

I currently have it on 4g only and it still loses service, it has to be the phone as it only started doing it with this phone, my last one never lost service I'm using the same sim card aswell 

Highlighted
Product Expert

@usercNAumkdoj6 can you double-check if your device is up to date. Let me know if this resolves your issue. 

Highlighted
Constellation

@Constantino_A 

I only got the phone 5 days ago and I just checked for updates and its all updated .

I shouldn't have to do the stuff you said with the battery yet should I? It's a brand new phone?

Highlighted
Product Expert

@usercNAumkdoj6 did you get a new sim when you got your device or was a  new sim already on the device?

I recently got my S20 Ultra and what I did was let it fully drain and then charged all the way to 100% and waited at least 30 minutes after a full charge. I have not had any battery drain issues at a rapid speed also take in mind I use my device for gaming so my battery does not drain so fast it drains at a reasonable pace with me playing on my phone.

Highlighted
Constellation

Its the same sim as I had in my s10+ 5g never had problems with service loss

And I'll try the battery solution you said

Highlighted
Product Expert

@usercNAumkdoj6  I know for certain carriers if the sim stops functioning correctly was because that specific sim only works for that model. Maybe this is not a solution but I would say it wouldn't hurt to ask your carrier for a sim card for your S20 ULTRA. I hope this helps 

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" When you find an answer that works for you

Highlighted
Product Expert

@usercNAumkdoj6 

For your battery  problem 

you can check the app monitoring which is built-in the device itself and use the optimization software in the device care settings on your device.

to access this setting you have to open settings > Device care on that menu you can select optimize now so the phone will optimize itself or you can open the battery icon so you can check which of the application is draining the most on your device.

if the problem persists you can contact 1-800-SAMSUNG or visit https://www.samsung.com/au/support/service/locations/

to get your device serviced.

if your device is eligible for a replacement you can use that option too.

hopefully, this will fix the issue that you are having.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi @usercNAumkdoj6 ,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your network. @Joellem  Resolution is a good method to restore your network. If you are still having issues with your battery life please try these steps

How to calibrate your battery

For phones:

1. Charge it to 100%, and keep charging it for at least two more hours.
  2. Use your device until it shuts off due to low battery.
  3. Charge it uninterrupted to 100%.

It’s best to perform this process periodically (about once a month) to ensure that the battery remains properly calibrated throughout its lifespan.

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Battery_Calibration (Read more for more information.)