JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S20 ultra from verizon unlocked on Sprint network no data

(Topic created: 07-18-2020 11:44 PM)
userTcWMAWZeiT
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I purchased an S20 ultra (verizon variant) after checking the imei, for blacklist,  and checking on Sprints website for compatibility.  To make positively sure,  I talked with an agent who assured me it was "100% compatible ".   I bought the phone (from a friend) who bought 2, with cash after being talked into one for himself as well as his girl. He didn't think it was worth the $1,500 he spent and sold it to me after a month.  (Verizon has a policy of locking all devices they sell for 60 days.  ) I went to a Sprint store not knowing this,  where they put in the new sim and I got the pop up telling me it's locked.  So, my friend had to call verizon and fill out a request for early unlock.  He got the email 2 days later saying it was approved and the phones unlocked.  I had the sim on me,  powered off the phone,  put in the sim, got signal bars,  then 3g lit up,  after 5-10 seconds it grayed out and I had no data.  I checked the calls and texts both worked.  Except mms. Called sprint who "refreshed" . No go.  Its still running Verizon firmware. But I've Been on with techs and agents,  but.  Can't use dialer codes,  and can't update prl or profile.  (No option for it) I was told it was a bad sim. Back to the store where we tried 3 more.  No go.  Checked the apns only two listed,  both are sprint prepaid, ota and prepaid internet.  He added the apn manually to which I lost everything.  No calls.  Texts.  Data.  (I had to rush before close) so.  I switched service back to my broken screen note 10+ (which shows 5 Apns. BTW) I'm at a loss.  I'm sorry for the length.  I just need you to know exactly what has happened so you don't have to ask the generic questions. Any help would be appreciated.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userTcWMAWZeiT
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

update,  anyone having data issues on s20 , from different carriers.  

My ultra was a Verizon variant.  (Same exact phone as others,  just locked to Verizon.  I can confirm there are a total of 3...   3 locks on this Verizon s20 ultra.  

1.  Financing lock ,   if you still owe money on the device. 

2. Sim lock ,  (carrier lock) again locked for Verizon service only.  Will not accept another carrier sim. Will get a pop up stating it's not unlocked for other carriers at this time.  

3. 60 day Verizon activated device lock.   You MUST activate the device on the Verizon network to INITIATE THE 60 DAY UNLOCK PROCESS.  Website states even if bought outright,  you have to wait 60 days before it "unlocks automatically" BUT.,  IF the phone was bought outright.  In cash.  YOU CAN FILL OUT A "REQUEST FOR EARLY UNLOCK" This is normally reserved for military personnel traveling abroad.  BUT CAN BE USED BY ANYONE WHO WISHES TO UNLOCK THE DEVICE TO SWITCH CARRIERS.  IF ALL OTHER TERMS ARE MET!  

NO FINANCING ON THE DEVICE

IMEI IS CLEAN THROUGH VERIZON.  

AND YOU PAID CASH FOR THE DEVICE.  

otherwise,  you MUST activate it on Verizon network and wait the 60 days.  

For me.  This was the BIGGEST I'VE EVER, HAD TO DEAL WITH IN MY LIFE.  

The person I bought the device from was told by reps at Verizon that it was unlocked and ready to be sold and used on any network. They did not realize it was only 40 days since purchase.  THEY HAVE NO WAY TO LOOK THIS INFORMATION UP FOR THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THE DEVICE!  IT IS ATTACHED TO THE PREVIOUS OWNERS ACCOUNT DETAILS!  Techs will look up the imei in store and it will come back clean.  BUT THEY CANNOT CHECK THE 60 DAY LOCK!   THAT'S TEIR 2 TECH SUPPORT ONLY!  Which.  You CANNOT SPEAK TO, UNLESS,  YOU'RE A VERIZON CUSTOMER! You seriously cannot even chat with a Verizon representative online.   I back doored my way into a chat feigning interest in starting service with Verizon.  As soon as they knew I wasn't a costumer.  It was instant rude,  borderline insulting treatment.  They COULD NOT check the 60 day lock without the previous owner checking it themselves.  After this chat.  I was BLACKLISTED FROM THE WEBSITES AUTOMATICALLY PROMPTED TO LOG IN AT THE VERY START when trying to enter a chat again.  EVEN THE WAY I HAD JUST DONE PREVIOUSLY.  THEY BLACKLISTED.... MY ADDRESS...  Well, I bought it,   Took it right to sprint store.  They popped in a sim. Where I was prompted that it cannot be used with other carriers at this time.  

I wrote the seller.  He was UPSET, He bought the device in cash,  had receipts to prove it,  bought 2, in cash.  Over 3k spent.  Come to find out,  the rep who sold the devices,  put FINANCING of 1$ on each phone....    SERIOUSLY!!???  HE PAID BOTH,  INSTANTLY.  I RETRIED THE DEVICE SWAP AND ACTIVATION,   (Which on a Verizon phone,  with Verizon firmware is horrible.  BTW.  There's no dialer codes,  no hands free activation,  no prl or profile updating,  these options don't exist on Verizon firmware) but.  It can be activated and run on Sprint network,  regardless),  the new sim would still not work.  Same pop up. Doing research,  I came across the 60 day lock,  and the sellers receipts showed 40 days from purchase.  I asked him to call Verizon and have it unlocked.  REPS DO NOT KNOW THIS IS POSSIBLE.  THEY WILL TELL YOU IT'S NOT, AND YOU MUST WAIT THE 60 DAYS.  TIER 2 SUPPORT,  HE FILLED OUT AND FILED THE EARLY UNLOCK.  WHICH WAS "GRANTED" HAVING RECEIVED CONFIRMATION VIA EMAIL.  I had left the Verizon sim in the phone,  in case it needed to connect to Verizon service to receive  the unlock. After he wrote,  showing the carrier unlock email he received.  I re inserted the sim again.  Had no pop up this time.  It connected to sprint 3g for 10 seconds.  Then went gray.  Would not come back no matter what was done.  (Being on Verizon firmware troubleshooting was null tried everything from new sims , to flashing the unlocked variant firmware on the device. I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE A NOVICE AT ODIN AND THE PROCESS.  But,  since the hardware and every part of the software (except the modem/ CSC and userdata) are identical,  you can flash the unlocked variants firmware which is far slimmer, and also gives the user the ability when changing carriers or sims, it detects the carrier via the sim, and will reboot the device to install the modem files FOR THE CARRIER OF THE SIM INSERTED! It's amazing.  So.  Even after i put in the sim for sprint,  it installed the modem and sprint system changes (status bar symbols. Sprint apns,  hands free activation etc) 

(******BUT....   WITHOUT SPRINT FIRMWARE,  YOU WILL NOT SEE A 5G ICON FOR 5G SERVICE IN THE STATUS BAR! ****) 

The activation was completed, BUT,  AGAIN,  NO DATA,  I contacted sprint,  a dozen times,  activating switched back and forth after I'd change the APN manually,  got a new sim etc. I reached TIER 2 tech on SPRINT.  WHERE THEY SAID,  IT HAD TO BE SIM RELATED,  AS THEY WERE "SHOWING ALL RED XXXS FOR THE SIM IN THE DEVICE". No matter how many sims we tried,  same result.   

After 3 days of aggravation,  I decided to put the Verizon sim back in the phone just to see if it was any different.     With the unlocked firmware,  it reinstalled the Verizon modem and system settings.  And after a reboot,  I it was showing lte+ and when I went to activate it on Verizon network (by clicking the notification for it) I was online,  at Verizon web pages,  loading plans,  and pages as I worked my way thru the process.  (Obviously I didn't finish.  )  but the point was clear.  IT HAD TO STILL BE VERIZON LOCKED! 

Convincing the seller it was STILL LOCKED,  we met and he logged into his account,  where he handed me the phone,  i  told the rep,  the phone was still locked,  it had to be,  via the Verizon sim test I did.   She checked,  "it shows its unlocked on our end" I said it's not.  It's giving sim errors according to Sprint teir 2 techs.  So, she said give me a minute.  I'll contact Samsung DIRECTLY.  IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED,  THEY'LL SEND A NEW PHONE,  but.  She came back on the line and said what I already knew,   "Well,  the Samsung rep says it shows its still LOCKED TO VERIZON on their end.  She was instructed by SAMSUNG, to re send the unlock,  (it has a 24 hour turn around) after 24 hours and a new unlock email.  To 

Factory Reset the device,  WITH A VERIZON SIM IN IT.  REBOOT AND MAKE SURE DATA IS ACTIVE.  (Start the activation,  Make sure mobile data IS WORKING and pages are loading via the activation notification, Or have someone with a Verizon service insert their sim into the device and make sure data is working. 

THEN POWER OFF AND INSERT THE SPRINT SIM and reboot. If you still have another carriers firmware you'll have to activate the device via phone or chat with your carrier. Then you should have data working!  But.  Since I had flashed the  unlocked variant,  it auto installed the Sprint network settings,  system settings and symbols etc. Where hands free activation started,  again. 

It failed,  I had to open a chat with sprint and automated activation was successful.  I went to network settings and picked 5g, lte 3g, (CDMA) option in preferences,  as sprint still uses CDMA for ALL DATA AND MMS. (They use GSM for calls and texts ONLY) AFTER A REBOOT I HAD A 5G SYMBOL AND THE FASTEST SPEEDS I'VE EVER SEEN.  EVEN FASTER THAN MY SPECTRUM HOME INTERNET! 

I apologize for the length.  But this was exactly how it happened and the solution to fix it.  Be sure after unlock,  that you insert a VERIZON SIM THEN FACTORY RESET,   (REMOVE YOUR GOOGLE AND SAMSUNG ACCOUNT PRIOR TO THE FACTORY RESET! AS IVE READ IT WILL CANCEL A FACTORY RESET OF THESE TWO ARE PRESENT.  THEN REBOOT,  MAKE SURE YOU STILL HAVE VERIZON DATA, THEN SWAP TO YOUR NEW CARRIERS SIM AND ACTIVATE.  THEN REBOOT AND Enjoy!

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
userTcWMAWZeiT
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

update,  anyone having data issues on s20 , from different carriers.  

My ultra was a Verizon variant.  (Same exact phone as others,  just locked to Verizon.  I can confirm there are a total of 3...   3 locks on this Verizon s20 ultra.  

1.  Financing lock ,   if you still owe money on the device. 

2. Sim lock ,  (carrier lock) again locked for Verizon service only.  Will not accept another carrier sim. Will get a pop up stating it's not unlocked for other carriers at this time.  

3. 60 day Verizon activated device lock.   You MUST activate the device on the Verizon network to INITIATE THE 60 DAY UNLOCK PROCESS.  Website states even if bought outright,  you have to wait 60 days before it "unlocks automatically" BUT.,  IF the phone was bought outright.  In cash.  YOU CAN FILL OUT A "REQUEST FOR EARLY UNLOCK" This is normally reserved for military personnel traveling abroad.  BUT CAN BE USED BY ANYONE WHO WISHES TO UNLOCK THE DEVICE TO SWITCH CARRIERS.  IF ALL OTHER TERMS ARE MET!  

NO FINANCING ON THE DEVICE

IMEI IS CLEAN THROUGH VERIZON.  

AND YOU PAID CASH FOR THE DEVICE.  

otherwise,  you MUST activate it on Verizon network and wait the 60 days.  

For me.  This was the BIGGEST I'VE EVER, HAD TO DEAL WITH IN MY LIFE.  

The person I bought the device from was told by reps at Verizon that it was unlocked and ready to be sold and used on any network. They did not realize it was only 40 days since purchase.  THEY HAVE NO WAY TO LOOK THIS INFORMATION UP FOR THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THE DEVICE!  IT IS ATTACHED TO THE PREVIOUS OWNERS ACCOUNT DETAILS!  Techs will look up the imei in store and it will come back clean.  BUT THEY CANNOT CHECK THE 60 DAY LOCK!   THAT'S TEIR 2 TECH SUPPORT ONLY!  Which.  You CANNOT SPEAK TO, UNLESS,  YOU'RE A VERIZON CUSTOMER! You seriously cannot even chat with a Verizon representative online.   I back doored my way into a chat feigning interest in starting service with Verizon.  As soon as they knew I wasn't a costumer.  It was instant rude,  borderline insulting treatment.  They COULD NOT check the 60 day lock without the previous owner checking it themselves.  After this chat.  I was BLACKLISTED FROM THE WEBSITES AUTOMATICALLY PROMPTED TO LOG IN AT THE VERY START when trying to enter a chat again.  EVEN THE WAY I HAD JUST DONE PREVIOUSLY.  THEY BLACKLISTED.... MY ADDRESS...  Well, I bought it,   Took it right to sprint store.  They popped in a sim. Where I was prompted that it cannot be used with other carriers at this time.  

I wrote the seller.  He was UPSET, He bought the device in cash,  had receipts to prove it,  bought 2, in cash.  Over 3k spent.  Come to find out,  the rep who sold the devices,  put FINANCING of 1$ on each phone....    SERIOUSLY!!???  HE PAID BOTH,  INSTANTLY.  I RETRIED THE DEVICE SWAP AND ACTIVATION,   (Which on a Verizon phone,  with Verizon firmware is horrible.  BTW.  There's no dialer codes,  no hands free activation,  no prl or profile updating,  these options don't exist on Verizon firmware) but.  It can be activated and run on Sprint network,  regardless),  the new sim would still not work.  Same pop up. Doing research,  I came across the 60 day lock,  and the sellers receipts showed 40 days from purchase.  I asked him to call Verizon and have it unlocked.  REPS DO NOT KNOW THIS IS POSSIBLE.  THEY WILL TELL YOU IT'S NOT, AND YOU MUST WAIT THE 60 DAYS.  TIER 2 SUPPORT,  HE FILLED OUT AND FILED THE EARLY UNLOCK.  WHICH WAS "GRANTED" HAVING RECEIVED CONFIRMATION VIA EMAIL.  I had left the Verizon sim in the phone,  in case it needed to connect to Verizon service to receive  the unlock. After he wrote,  showing the carrier unlock email he received.  I re inserted the sim again.  Had no pop up this time.  It connected to sprint 3g for 10 seconds.  Then went gray.  Would not come back no matter what was done.  (Being on Verizon firmware troubleshooting was null tried everything from new sims , to flashing the unlocked variant firmware on the device. I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE A NOVICE AT ODIN AND THE PROCESS.  But,  since the hardware and every part of the software (except the modem/ CSC and userdata) are identical,  you can flash the unlocked variants firmware which is far slimmer, and also gives the user the ability when changing carriers or sims, it detects the carrier via the sim, and will reboot the device to install the modem files FOR THE CARRIER OF THE SIM INSERTED! It's amazing.  So.  Even after i put in the sim for sprint,  it installed the modem and sprint system changes (status bar symbols. Sprint apns,  hands free activation etc) 

(******BUT....   WITHOUT SPRINT FIRMWARE,  YOU WILL NOT SEE A 5G ICON FOR 5G SERVICE IN THE STATUS BAR! ****) 

The activation was completed, BUT,  AGAIN,  NO DATA,  I contacted sprint,  a dozen times,  activating switched back and forth after I'd change the APN manually,  got a new sim etc. I reached TIER 2 tech on SPRINT.  WHERE THEY SAID,  IT HAD TO BE SIM RELATED,  AS THEY WERE "SHOWING ALL RED XXXS FOR THE SIM IN THE DEVICE". No matter how many sims we tried,  same result.   

After 3 days of aggravation,  I decided to put the Verizon sim back in the phone just to see if it was any different.     With the unlocked firmware,  it reinstalled the Verizon modem and system settings.  And after a reboot,  I it was showing lte+ and when I went to activate it on Verizon network (by clicking the notification for it) I was online,  at Verizon web pages,  loading plans,  and pages as I worked my way thru the process.  (Obviously I didn't finish.  )  but the point was clear.  IT HAD TO STILL BE VERIZON LOCKED! 

Convincing the seller it was STILL LOCKED,  we met and he logged into his account,  where he handed me the phone,  i  told the rep,  the phone was still locked,  it had to be,  via the Verizon sim test I did.   She checked,  "it shows its unlocked on our end" I said it's not.  It's giving sim errors according to Sprint teir 2 techs.  So, she said give me a minute.  I'll contact Samsung DIRECTLY.  IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED,  THEY'LL SEND A NEW PHONE,  but.  She came back on the line and said what I already knew,   "Well,  the Samsung rep says it shows its still LOCKED TO VERIZON on their end.  She was instructed by SAMSUNG, to re send the unlock,  (it has a 24 hour turn around) after 24 hours and a new unlock email.  To 

Factory Reset the device,  WITH A VERIZON SIM IN IT.  REBOOT AND MAKE SURE DATA IS ACTIVE.  (Start the activation,  Make sure mobile data IS WORKING and pages are loading via the activation notification, Or have someone with a Verizon service insert their sim into the device and make sure data is working. 

THEN POWER OFF AND INSERT THE SPRINT SIM and reboot. If you still have another carriers firmware you'll have to activate the device via phone or chat with your carrier. Then you should have data working!  But.  Since I had flashed the  unlocked variant,  it auto installed the Sprint network settings,  system settings and symbols etc. Where hands free activation started,  again. 

It failed,  I had to open a chat with sprint and automated activation was successful.  I went to network settings and picked 5g, lte 3g, (CDMA) option in preferences,  as sprint still uses CDMA for ALL DATA AND MMS. (They use GSM for calls and texts ONLY) AFTER A REBOOT I HAD A 5G SYMBOL AND THE FASTEST SPEEDS I'VE EVER SEEN.  EVEN FASTER THAN MY SPECTRUM HOME INTERNET! 

I apologize for the length.  But this was exactly how it happened and the solution to fix it.  Be sure after unlock,  that you insert a VERIZON SIM THEN FACTORY RESET,   (REMOVE YOUR GOOGLE AND SAMSUNG ACCOUNT PRIOR TO THE FACTORY RESET! AS IVE READ IT WILL CANCEL A FACTORY RESET OF THESE TWO ARE PRESENT.  THEN REBOOT,  MAKE SURE YOU STILL HAVE VERIZON DATA, THEN SWAP TO YOUR NEW CARRIERS SIM AND ACTIVATE.  THEN REBOOT AND Enjoy!

user7pK3SpRh82
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I am having what seems like an identical issue to you but i could not find the word to articulate it like you have. I purchased a used xfinity mobile galaxy s20 ultra put in my verizon sim at the store and tested mostly every function of the phone at the store and it all checked out. I had a verizon rep check out the phone and check its IMEI number and told me it was good to go. They made a test call with it as well. A few days later after I did the android 11 update I no longer had working mobile data but i could make calls and texts still. Previous owner has been super helpful talking to me he sent me a screen shot of him paying the phone off on xfinity november 2nd of 2020 and he sent me the unlockl code xfinity provided him as well as the number to dial on the phone to enter the unlock code. I've went to the verizon store twice in the passed 2 days and i will be going back tomorrow. Thewy say phone isnt compatible with verizon and thought it was xfinity locked. I out in a friends verizon sim yesterday and no data still. I put in 2 different t mobile sims yesterday and both times worked perfectly with mobile data. I checked on xfinitys website a minute ago to see if the device was able to be brought over to their service by entering the IMEI number and it said the device is not compatable. I have no clue what to do or say when i go into the store tomorrow. The employees i delt with yeasterday said on saturday when their customer service was open they would call so im assuming they are tryingf to get ahold of teir 2 tech support. Again if you have any suggestions or tips i would be so so grateful, thank you in advance!

0 Likes
userHedacUXJMy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

you could have save those headaches by paying a third party service to unlock the phone, next time check this website they unlock sprint phone blacklisted, under contract etc..

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S20
hi I have an a10e and I cannot figure out how to get to the sim unlock screen to put in the code and phone doesnt prompt for it. can anyone help?
0 Likes