cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

SIM Card Question- New Galaxy S20 FE 5G purchase

I have kind of a technical question I’d like to have answered before heading back to the store where I purchased my new phone.  Hope you can help! 

I just bought a new Samsung S20 FE 5G at Costco.  I did not trade my old Samsung S6 but I had it with me.   The salesperson at Costco transferred all my info from my old S6 phone to my new phone while I was at the store.  When I got home I noticed that my old S6 no longer has a SIM card in it  (the SIM card is missing in my old phone).  Does that sound right? 

Should the salesperson have removed and kept my old SIM card?  

Is it possible that the salesperson put my old SIM card in my new phone and did not tell me?  If so, shouldn’t the new S20 FE 5G have a newer 5G compatible SIM card?  If the salesperson did put the old Sim card in the new S20 FE 5G, is that ok (will it work properly)? 

I’m just trying to figure out if anything seems unusual here before heading back to the store (Costco).

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: SIM Card Question- New Galaxy S20 FE 5G purchase

@userf5fzKNvynd wrote:

Is it possible that the salesperson put my old SIM card in my new phone and did not tell me?  If so, shouldn’t the new S20 FE 5G have a newer 5G compatible SIM card?  If the salesperson did put the old Sim card in the new S20 FE 5G, is that ok (will it work properly)? 

I’m just trying to figure out if anything seems unusual here before heading back to the store (Costco).

Thanks!

If your new S20 FE 5G is texting and answering calls on your existing phone number, then yes the salesperson moved the SIM card from the S6 to the S20 FE. 

Whether you need a new SIM card to use 5G is a question to ask your carrier. 

Constellation

Is this usual for a new phone purchase?  That is, is it usual to move a 6 or 7 year old SIM card to a new phone and not set up a new SIM card?  Just trying to figure out if the guy at Costco treated me right or  took the easy way.  Thanks a lot!

Samsung Care Ambassador

@userf5fzKNvynd wrote:

Is this usual for a new phone purchase?  That is, is it usual to move a 6 or 7 year old SIM card to a new phone and not set up a new SIM card?  Just trying to figure out if the guy at Costco treated me right or  took the easy way.  Thanks a lot!

Yes at 3rd parties like Costco. They generally don't have the equipment or authorization to allocate and enable a new SIM card. 

Asteroid

if you have both phones the s20 comes with a sim card tray extractor its a small metal pin it comes right out the box for you to insert an SD card. you can check both phones depending on your service you'll be able to tell if its new sim or not.