JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Free data consumption

(Topic created on: 1/20/21 1:46 PM)
Charlie68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
About a little over a month ago with the last UI update I got Samsung Free on my s20 Ultra. Few weeks later I got an over data limit for my cell data provider. I checked and I went over 30GB from one month to the next. After checking my data consumption on my phone I found that the culprit was Samsung Free which consumed over 30GB on frontground, not even on the background, not even using it once.

I just disconect Samsung free to monitor consumption but there is no way to uninstalled the app.

Does anyone has experience the same problem? Any solutions?
0 Likes
8 Replies
Solution
KnightRalph316
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20
Unfortunately you can't uninstall or disable the app but in the Settings you can find Leave Samsung Free then click Leave Samsung Free and you won't have to deal with it anymore. You can actually have Google on that section if you want instead.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Charlie68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
thanks, the first thing I did was leave the app hoping that was the solution, thank you for the confirmation. it is ridiculous the amount of data used by that app alone.
how can I have Google instead?
0 Likes
KnightRalph316
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20
It's going to be available with the One UI 3.1 Update. When your device gets it, it will have the option.
SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S20

Please make sure you have the latest version of the application, if you do and it's still causing trouble, forced turning off is recommendable and you can do this on Sfree settings within the application. 

0 Likes
userWL7dCkW446
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

So who reimburses me for the $100 I have in charges for going over on data?

userXA6HS9tpVC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I explained the situation to my cellphone provider, then filed this issue with FCC Consumer Complaints 

userkSlX4P0GLf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Same thing just happened to me.  I have NEVER used that Samsung app and it not only opened itself and ran for 4 hours in the background it bypassed my WiFi connection and drained my data causes overages on my Verizon plan.  In the 6 years I have been a Verizon customer I never went over my data until now.   When I discovered the overages I immediately contacted Verizon who offered me a data boost, at no charge, to cover some of the charges for the month and then had a tech person spend an hour with me on the phone and discovered that the Samsung App was the culprit and they uninstalled the app from my S21+.  

Then I contacted Samsung and after wasting half a day and talking to 3 different departments at Samsung I was told they take no responsibility for this but would escalate my problem and have a supervisor call me back.....No surprise I have not received any call from Samsung.  

I have let every one I know who owns a Samsung phone to uninstall the App immediately. 

0 Likes
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S20

An Accepted Solution has been marked, and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to Private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes