cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Samsung S20 ultra 5G connection issues

This is not the carrier issue. I am T-Mobile and I have the same problem. I have replaced the phone and the SIM card. It still doesn't work. GET IT FIXED! Shame on you Samsung. A $1000 phone that can't make calls or text. No Good!

Highlighted
Constellation

My workaround...until there is an official fix, is to move my settings under mobile network to the second tier (LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) and it seems to fix my issue which was dropping of data signal.  I was getting about 10-15 Mbs down and 1-5 Mbs up when I was on the upper tier with 5G.  I spoke to T mobile and we tried resetting the phone, resetting the signal, rebooting, cleaning the SIM card and every time it went back to dropping data signal.  It actually was showing H+/3G during its slowest points.  Now that I set it to the lower tier in the mobile network settings (Setting-Connections-Mobile networks), I have had no loss of signal and typically get about 201 Mbs down and 27 Mbs up.  Hope this helps someone. 

Highlighted
Constellation

yes.  Im on my second device.  It doesn't work or connect to the network several times a day.  I just want to take this back but I don't ven know id I can anymore

Highlighted
Constellation

I can't even use my phone in a sprinkle of rain cause the 5g suucks so bad.

Highlighted
Constellation

I had a similar issue with my S20 (T-mobile). The phone would sit in 5G , and not have any data. I find out that there is an issue with the S20 5g capability.  Is you live in an area where there is no 5G the phone has a hard time going Dien to 4g/LTE. The only Skytop is to put it into airplane mode and when you disable it you will see 4g/lte, but only did a few minutes. The best thing to do is to go to network settings and curve the device to only use 4g (until you can get to a5g area)

The Samsung tech denied it, but finally one bright T-mobile tech admitted it

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

For those having the data/internet connection drops...to summarize some of the "workarounds" in this thread among other sources...from what I've gathered, this issue appears to be triggered when leaving an area with WiFi coverage (such as your home or place of work) and heading out to the vast blue yonder of using the mobile network in your area, whether that be 4G/LTE, 3G, or 5G if you have it. The changeover from WiFi to mobile network *seems* to trigger this behavior.

I'll try to keep this as carrier-independent as possible.

Easiest/quickest steps to try when you encounter this issue:

• Turn off WiFi before leaving wherever you are located that has WiFi access (this is more preventative than anything else)
  • Turn on Airplane mode, then turn it off, wait for S20 to reconnect

Secondary Steps to try:

• Settings > Mobile Networks > Network mode: set to 4G/3G, depending on your carrier, restart the S20
  • Chose to restart your device, hold down volume up + Bixby button to get into Recovery, wipe cache partition, reboot
  • Simply Restart the device, let it boot and reconnect to whatever mobile network it finds.

More aggressive measures:

• Reset Network Settings (this will wipe out all of your bluetooth and saved Wifi settings - keep this in mind)
  • Update Network Profile/PRL (dependent on specific carrier settings)
  • Backup your S20 via SmartSwitch then Factory Reset Device, and Restore via SmartSwitch...this will take some time, don't do it in the car while driving. Save for a non-busy evening/night at home.

When all else fails, UBreakIFix, or head to carrier store for further troubleshooting, possible SIM card replacement, etc. Last but not least, wait for software/firmware upgrade which may sort out the issue.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response helped resolve your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button. Thanks!

Highlighted
Constellation

That's not the issue, about resetting settings etc. 

I'm having the same issue for about 2 months. I have good connection at my place 4G, and normally speed is really good (I measure through speed test). But all of sudden data connection drops and either I have to wait couple of minutes so it restarts data connection again, or I have to switch on airplane mode and off again. I have noticed this first when I'm having WhatsApp calls, they were dropping, and I was thinking it's because of general network coverage. Then during online game, again drops. It's really annoying. Then I suspected my simcard, I have put my simcard in to my previous Huawei mate pro20, and all works fine. No drop during WhatsApp call or gaming. Then i have read forums h,apparently it is worldwide problem. So I have decided to call Samsung center in Russia. They said it's a known bug, a lot of people have same complain. And they have said that I should wait for software update.

I'm using now Huawei, because it is really annoying these data drops and makes impossible to use Samsung ultra s20. So hopefully Samsung will issue an update soon and then we will see. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

The 06/2020 Samsung update took away network mode in settings-mobile network so no way to put s20 ultra in 4G or anything else than 5G. Did try change APN settings for older version with at&t, still having connection issues with samsung S20 Ultra, switching over to iphone to wait for samsung fix. Its worldwide issue....I am 8 days out of byers remorse and will have to put my faith with Samsung resolving this worlwide issue. 

Highlighted

Tried switching SIM slots from 1 to 2 or reverse?

Highlighted
Asteroid

I returned s20 ultra as warranty to Samsung. We will see the result in a week...

i did activate another line with new sim. Same results says 5 bars of 5G but no mobile data...