JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung s20 ultra dropping WiFi connection constantly

(Topic created: 04-26-2020 02:08 PM)
user68dGQIWk58
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Had new Samsung galaxy s20 ultra less than a week now and it constantly drops WiFi connection at home. Cannot reconnect without rebooting phone.

Samsung knows of this issue but no fix. Cannot get to speak to anyone for support due to Covid-19.

Now want to return the phone but again cannot contact anyone to sort return.

What do I do?? 

117 Replies
userTKIOHOdd1b
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Same problem with my S20 Note Ultra. Wifi router is less than 2 months old.  Many other wireless devices are in use, no other devices having problems.

Sorry folks - looks like there is a real phone or SW issue, needs to be fixed. 

Options
Galaxy S20

@usergLjj2nJpfQ 

Hi,

Can you help me with the following questions ?

1. What exactly happens (issue reproduction route)

2.Home Internet service provider, Modem - Make and Model Number.

3.What carrier do you use for the phone.

4.WHat is the software build number (Settings > About phone > software information > Build Number)

5.Does the issue occur on Safe mode ?

0 Likes
usergLjj2nJpfQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

No need to provide all the information, it's all irrelevant. This is a Samsung issue.

After the frustration kind of peaked, and there was no help from Samsung, Verizon, or any of the online suggestions... I finally figured it out on my own (kind of by accident).

The issue, at least this one, is that Samsung phones, and perhaps some other makers, have an interference problem with bluetooth and wifi. For me, I have a Withings Fitness watch that is always connected to my phone via bluetooth and I use bluetooth speakers quite a bit.

If I'm connected to 2.4 ghz wifi, some glitch happens every minute or two (it really seems random) where the wifi thinks it has poor reception and drops the internet connection.... even if you're right next to the router.

I found this out in the middle of ANOTHER reset trying to fix the issue when I noticed everything was working great. Then I reconnected and set up my fitness watch again, and the problem came back. I switched over to my 5ghz wifi connection and no problems at all. If I need to use 2.4ghz for some reason (working in my garage or something, I can either turn off bluetooth or just be aware the issue will cause some problems with wifi on my phone).

So, everyone, if you're having wifi drops on your Samsung phone, and you've tried EVERYTHING to fix it, please take a look at what bluetooth items you have connected to your phone. There may be connection interference problems with the bluetooth devices and your 2.4 ghz wifi connection.

For me, I switched over to 5ghz wifi and it has resolved the issue. Albeit, at the same time, it has created another issue because of the limited range of 5ghz, but at least I know the problem.

Samsung, please fix this issue so users can use 2.4 ghz wifi and keep their bluetooth items working at the same time (without the wifi drops).

userOh0uM1pjht
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same problem with my s20 plus. No amounts of resetting made it better. It's definitely the phone's problem, because no other device at my home has the smell problem. 

Please fix it.

userMuW2XDMHwl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same problem with my S20+ and I try all solution I found on the web plus resent to the factory 3 time.. 

usergLjj2nJpfQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

If you're having wifi drops on your Samsung phone, and you've tried EVERYTHING to fix it, please take a look at what bluetooth items you have connected to your phone. There may be connection interference problems with the bluetooth devices and your 2.4 ghz wifi connection. For me, I switched over to 5ghz wifi and it has resolved the issue. Albeit, at the same time, it has created another issue because of the limited range of 5ghz, but at least I know the problem. Samsung needs to fix this issue so users can use 2.4 ghz wifi and keep their bluetooth items working at the same time (without the wifi drops).

Members_sagEt1H
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm using S20+ and 5Ghz wifi. Still same issue. I have tried all suggestions, factory reset too. Still drops wifi!!!!

userDBZVp72PzQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same issue. Got a new phone and experiencing the exact same problem. Connection suddenly drops from WiFi and does not automatically reconnect. I have to turn the WiFi on an off. Very unreliable. Have tried connecting to two different routers. Issue persists. None of my other devices including an S10 have this issue. Shame. Will be returning device. 

Options
Galaxy S20

Hello,

I might try helping.

1. Do you use an app that uses wifi scanning to operate such as nexar dashcam app?
  2. Put the device into the safe mode and see if the wifi drops?
  3. What is the phone's model number, carrier, Software version.

😄

0 Likes
Samsung_XzeuNWl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same issue as well, constantly dropping wifi wnternet connection, it works after I restart, or flash airplane mode. This is getting ridiculous!