JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung s20 ultra dropping WiFi connection constantly

(Topic created: 05-16-2020 06:08 AM)
user68dGQIWk58
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Had new Samsung galaxy s20 ultra less than a week now and it constantly drops WiFi connection at home. Cannot reconnect without rebooting phone.

Samsung knows of this issue but no fix. Cannot get to speak to anyone for support due to Covid-19.

Now want to return the phone but again cannot contact anyone to sort return.

What do I do?? 

117 Replies
userJvhO28PmTn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

This same BS has been happening to me, as well, ever since I bought this phone. My S10 had ZERO wifi issues, but the S20 *constantly* struggles to connect to my wifi network. This phone is a total waste of money. I've reset **everything** and nothing helps. 

S188
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20

I got Wi-Fi issues too on my S20 Ultra, latest update.

roblob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Samsung, I'm using your S20 Ultra, your SmartThings wifi and can not connect to anything. As a matter of fact, I had to turn off wifi to write this. I returned the first S20 Ultra and this one is no better. Guess I'll return this one too. Seriously poor choices made in production of this phone. 

user3BrUx5oEEV
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Just got the s20+ on 5/23.  Did all updates and still getting wifi drops regularly with very strong wifi router.

Have 5 year old tablet air that gets 150Mbps, a 2 yr old midrange phone getting 200Mbps, and another US 2 yr phone getting 145Mbps. This phone gets 4Mbps! Then drops connection between switching web pages on same site. Terrible for a $1000 new phone.

userM02EDaUCmV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same problem. Keeps dropping the connection to my laptop when tethered. I only received the phone yesterday and I have already decided I will never buy a Samsung  phone again. Technical support were hopeless after hours and hours of resetting settings etc and advised me to get a refund. Phoned customer services and they are giving me my money back. Time to try an iPhone unless someone can tell me something Samsung technical support failed to point out.

Tethering works fine when I use an old S8 plus so I'm presuming the problem is with the new S20 ultra. Samsung are ripping us off charging £1200 for a phone that can't even do the basics. 

Also spent a lot of money on some buds plus and a fancy LED case for the phone. The £54 case didn't work as the phone didn't connect to that either and show any icons on the front cover. Again Samsung shrugged their shoulders and just offered a refund. Worse shopping experience I've ever had.

@user68dGQIWk58 wrote:

Had new Samsung galaxy s20 ultra less than a week now and it constantly drops WiFi connection at home. Cannot reconnect without rebooting phone.

Samsung knows of this issue but no fix. Cannot get to speak to anyone for support due to Covid-19.

Now want to return the phone but again cannot contact anyone to sort return.

What do I do?? 

userSXHwUq3puV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have similar issues with my s20. Constantly drops the wifi and passes it back to the cell network  At times, the wifi turns off entirely and I have to manually turn it back on. Tech support is helpless. No other device on my network has issues. I'm done with Samsung phones. 

usereP47GrckN5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

@userSXHwUq3puV wrote:

I have similar issues with my s20 ultra. Constantly drops the wifi and passes it back to the cell network  At times, the wifi turns off entirely and I have to manually turn it back on. Tech support is helpless. No other device on my network has issues. I'm done with Samsung phones. 

i will turn it back

0 Likes
jpeckinp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Here's my take. Samsung has an issue with WIFI-6. I had a Tp-link AC5400 and it handles my S20+'s fine. I upgraded my router to a Tp-link AX11000 and just my S20's drop connection.

Only time they don't disconnect is if I'm within 10ft of the router.

I can be in my bedroom with a wifi strength of -63dbm and do a reset of my wifi on the phone and it comes back up at -63. I run a speedtest and I get 500mbps down and 45mbps up, I run a 2nd test and it starts at 500 and slows down to around 40 and upload stays at 45 run a 3rd test and ping is 3ms jitter is 1ms and download is 5then up load is still 45 4th test and do is 0 and can't do anything! Signal strength still -63dbm.

I test all other wifi units in the house and all are good my old phone OnePlus 6t will download at 350 sitting right next to my S20 in the bedroom.

userVQS3DsuiZ1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

hi all

I'm having the same issues. No other phone tablet or laptop has this issue in my home but my s20 ultra keeps dropping wifi. Also the WiFi signal keeps varying in strength even when I am staying in the same location.

0 Likes
TXCraig
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

I just purchased this phone a few days ago and I'm having the same issue. It shows I'm attached to my WiFi but the phone uses the carrier for data. Only if I turn carrier data off, does it use the wifi and that is kind of intermittant. If this an issue that can be fixed by a phone replacment?

0 Likes