JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung s20 ultra dropping WiFi connection constantly

(Topic created: 12-16-2020 06:57 AM)
user68dGQIWk58
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Had new Samsung galaxy s20 ultra less than a week now and it constantly drops WiFi connection at home. Cannot reconnect without rebooting phone.

Samsung knows of this issue but no fix. Cannot get to speak to anyone for support due to Covid-19.

Now want to return the phone but again cannot contact anyone to sort return.

What do I do?? 

117 Replies
seraph973
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

oddly enough, this worked for me. when the location services is turned off the apps that use it does not cause my wifi to drop. then tried turning it on and wifi dropped again when using apps that use location

OllyW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I had the same problem on my S20 plus and this worked for me too.
bpa
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I just started having the same problem since I switched out my router for a Google Wifi. I had a Linksys before and never any issue. I now have a mesh with 2 points, phone is mostly on 2,4Ghz and never looses the connection itself but no data is send or received. Apps just hang for 15 secs or more and than it starts working again. At times I need to disable and reenable wifi to get it going again. I have about 20 other devices that have zero problems including a S9,S10 and A50.

update:

I disabled the "Google Location Accuracy" in settings and this seems to have cured to problem completely.

update2:

latest Samsung update has fixed the issues. Thanks !

usergkWHt0YnLO
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Just started encountering the same issue just after updating to Android 11 and OneUI 3.0.  Thos is ridiculous. Modem and router not the issue. 

@bpa wrote:

I just started having the same problem since I switched out my router for a Google Wifi. I had a Linksys before and never any issue. I now have a mesh with 2 points, phone is mostly on 2,4Ghz and never looses the connection itself but no data is send or received. Apps just hang for 15 secs or more and than it starts working again. At times I need to disable and reenable wifi to get it going again. I have about 20 other devices that have zero problems including a S9,S10 and A50.

vidal_asuncion
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Hello, same issue here. My wifi icon gets an exclamation mark, and my phone can't get access to internet. When I go to wifi settings, looks like my phone get wifi access again. If I check my router dashboard when the exclamation symbol appears, I can't see the phone connected to the wifi. Any help please! I think this is an expensive phone, I can't believe that we have this kind of problems. 

0 Likes
plano-mano
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

try download samsung members app and submit a ticket.
once you open, click +, then click error report

there should be a category for wifi you can choose from.

0 Likes
Solution
userzjlBT0bYHD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi, if the following is true for you, then the solution which worked for me should work for you too. If you have a mesh network / multiple access points with the same WiFi SSID / dual band network with single SSID, simply disabling Google Location Accuracy in Settings > Location will work. If not, I also have WiFi scanning disabled in Settings > Location > Improve Accuracy.

Hopefully it works for you and ends the nightmare.

I've contacted Samsung twice now and advised that this solved my problem so if it solves yours too, please comment so it is escalated as something to fix. It seems to only affect Samsung phones of S10 and above.

userDPhtjVgEPW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks, totally worked for us.

We tried so many things ... we replaced the sim-card, launched the phone is safe-mode as support told us ... but finally ... disabling the google location improvement service solved the issues.

0 Likes
userbKudWuYRrh
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

This works!!!! I made an account just to say that and to say thanks!! Its been over an hour and my wifi hasn't dropped! My wifi started dropping as soon as I got the update a few days ago. Tried a new router, didn't work. Oddly, wifi did not drop at my sister's house.

0 Likes
userv8eYOtRzN3
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks! This one works. 

0 Likes