JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Should I update?

(Topic created: 12-28-2020 05:16 AM)
ThisGirlSerious
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
I have the unlocked S20 5G and I just received the update phone notification. With all of the issues Ive seen posted, should I even let it update to 11? Ive already backed up everything using smart switch just in case I have to factory reset. All opinions welcomed. 
6 Replies
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S20
Whether to update. It's always a question. From my experience, when it comes to problems and the scalability of them, whether your mobile device, old roof, or medical issue, if you look for it it will most likely be there. Granted there are always issues when updating a system but with the overall amount of devices sold experiencing no problems it seems more likely that they are within a small percentage to the overall. It's like looking up "my head hurts" on google. You would aggregate all search results related to the subject even if it's just a headache it would list the possibilities that it's a tumor or worse. These are Isolated results. What I mean is that you've come to the place for your device where people go for help with issues so your results of the search are partially bias if that makes sense. If you only read Reviews that were bias towards how great your device is it would be misleading also. I believe you are doing the responsible thing by backing up and saving before updating but outside of the UI update there are also a vast amount of security updates that go along with it. Some are noticeable but most work in the background that help the applications play well with each other. Having the most up to date device ensures the Best Possible Performance of the device. Sometimes your device is in a higher state of Development standard then the apps installed causing the app devs to have to rush to get their code up to date which causes glitching. Different applications built by different Teams all trying to turn in their homework. The tech for the new UI is Open Source which means all have had access to it it's just that some struggled to study and produce their mid term papers on time.
Missy10
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm wondering the same thing.
Solution
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S20
Also take a minute to really read the CHANGELOG. Find out things that will change with the update. If you know before hand that the volume slider is gonna move or Wifi calling is gonna change, or they put this or that in a different category, you are more capable of transitioning to your new device as opposed to feeling lost and not enjoying it. If theres something in the CHANGELOG you dont understand, take a moment to learn about what it does. Knowledge is a Trade. Once its learned, it can never be taken from you. Hope that Helps

View solution in context

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

I would recommend looking at the main complaints you are seeing on this forum or other Android forums...ie, front camera hole is no longer hidden...  If any of the major complaints really bother you, just wait as long as you can.  On the other hand if the main complaints appear to be "not so important" take the jump over to Android 11, UI One 3.0;  You have the latest phone and you probably would enjoy the latest technology.  Good luck!

PS: If you are using Dard Screen Mode, like I do  and many others do, the camera hole is a mute point as you won't see it.  (only in apps that don't show in dark mode would you see it)

MoniqueO28
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
My personal opinion from my experience is I would WAIT! I don't have a fancy way of explaining my opinion but to me the new update feels like it was rushed and there's many issues. Also many changes, that to me, weren't necessary. Though some issues may be minor they're still annoyances I wish I didn't have to deal with. I wish I could go back to Android 10/ 2.5. It'll probably be months before all the kinks are worked out, ugh. Then Goodlock doesn't work on the Unit side, I use Goodlock a lot and was disappointed that yet again the app wasn't ready for the major update. Though this time they provided a schedule as to when modules will work, which I appreciate. But still don't understand the hold up because I would think it would be easier to have a major update and Goodlock update together. And like @SHADOWGATE suggested, you may want to look at the changelog and see if you can live with the changes that have been made. Which some of them I wish I didn't have to deal with. So I guess I would say you're on the right track with asking for opinions and backing up your device. Now you just have to read the comments/opinions you receive and research about the new update to see what the right choice is for you. But like I said, if it were me I would wait as long as I could. Oh and if you have questions about my experience with Android 11 thus far, please feel free to ask. I also have a s20 (in pink 😉), if that helps.
ThisGirlSerious
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. I really appreciate them. I think I will be holding off for the time being.
0 Likes