cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Space Zoom

I was wondering why you guys chose to implement space zoom the way you did.

I understand that you had to place the whole thing sideways. But why did you choose to use digital cropping beyond the ten times zoom is beyond me.

I think you should have used a system where the lenses can change strength via water lense and resivor tank. And you should have continued the field of focus around another corner to actually go inside the phone allowing for a bigger sensor.

Either way you look at it the ten times zoom is fine. And really thats all that cemra is is a ten times zoom. You would need a bigger sensor and some extra focal strength to get crisp photos at 100x zoom.

Oh since the camera sensor is inside the phone behind another curve you could put the extra lenses inside the phone that move in and out of the way as needed. And you wouldnt even need water lenses

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Space Zoom

I like your thoughts.  A little demanding, and from my experience I don't think Samsung likes being told what to do.  I think however you have the start of something, because bigger and bigger phones give space for something like this.  However, from my experience, companies like the best practically balanced solution, even if they put their own spin on it, and soon I'm interested in approaching Google about a small feature camera phone.  Because as practical as it is to use the extra space on a zoom like this (I am interested in microscopy like biological filming, and I would love 100 optical) what's needed is smaller flagship phones, closer to the size of the original iPhones, with full screen, up to around 5.3 inches, and 30x zoom plus is not too practical to many people (however 30x optical might fit with your idea Smiley Happy ) .  Even 12x optical is pretty much handy to me as a professional.

But I have a suggestion to get 100x optical with such a small phone.  Have a liquid lens (like you say) that is reconfigurable to act as a portal for a zoom lens in the case.  You get a very small flagship model, with modest zoom capability to suit most people, but which people can buy a special lens case for to get 100x plus stabilised liquid hybrid lens controllable from the phone over a nfs interface, and wide aperture focal lengths to act as primes.  But, any third party could make a case to do whatever lens they like.  Real video lens capability.  The case is built to house the lens along an edge, with or without bulge.  If one breaks it, they buy another one.  The size increase is still smaller than the present phones, but a much longer length is easily adapted.  A user can then slip into the case as needed, or attach a the desired horizontal lens as needed.  So, the actual case size can be close to the phone size and shape normally.  Now, if we extrapolate, such an attachable lens system cases can be made as the standard case for all flagdhip sizes, with a standardized low visibility attachment mounting points for extra lenses.  Now, third parties can make attachable lenses for the cases.  Unless you use a quality lens in a camcorder configuration, the horizontal attached lens offers the best option past what can be put in the phone.

Samsung holds a patent for doing liquid lenses at bigger sensor format sizes then we're previously possible.

Samsung can ... me about doing this, if they wish.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Space Zoom

So, my previous design suggestion for a new format of lens cases to better meet what you desire was removed as...  However, I had one final complimentary suggestion to improve the  camera capability.

Video camera capability lags a long way behind stills performance in the market.  However, there are three solutions to this, to increase the datarate to a competitive level.  One, a mid range chipsets with greatly expanded video codec section, and nfs controls interface.  Able to deliver 4:2:2 12 bit+ at 300mb/s+ h265, half that for the codec that replaces it, and double that for the previous h264, for up to future 8k p50/60.  With external live record data saving. It will pretty much set the standard, even though double those datarates would be better.  Along with the previously suggested vertical  attachable lens cases, nfs lens and controls interface, it's a real option for enthusiast video camera users.

The second is to have an extra chip do this alongside any chipset.

The third option, is to incorporate this functionality with the sensor to use with any chipset.

Thank you.  They can ... me if they wish.