JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Speech to text is coming out in British English text

(Topic created: 09-13-2020 08:44 AM)
userYgDsEGzoa5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Someone I know has an S20+ like I do, and for some reason when he does speech to text, it spells everything with British spelling.  For example, centre instead of center, colour instead of color, etc   Is this a  bug in the system update or is there some sort of setting that needs to be changed?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userOa9R4qcBAc
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Same problem.  "Do me a favour and tell me how many colours are in the centre."  I speak, that's what it writes.  Everything, everywhere, says "English (US)" in my settings.  I switched to Google voice typing and the problem went away.  

For others who find their way here: Settings -> General management -> Keyboard list and default
Make sure Google voice typing is "on"
Turn off "Samsung voice input."
Retry the above sentence somewhere, like in a Facebook post, then discard it.

View solution in context

10 Replies
userkXpKAtgB5q
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
I stopped using a Samsung voice to text, and I am using the Google one instead and it fixed the problem! not sure what Samsung's issue is
0 Likes
userVruIKqoxOT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

How do you switch to the google one?

0 Likes
Samsung_itkUKNq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I tried that, but it didn't work.  I even set it to Google,  then restarted my phone. It's very annoying. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20

try download samsung members app and submit a ticket.

once you open, click + sign, then click error report.

0 Likes
Kndzeta
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I am experiencing the same problem. Is there a solution yet

@userYgDsEGzoa5 wrote:

Someone I know has an S20+ like I do, and for some reason when he does speech to text, it spells everything with British spelling.  For example, centre instead of center, colour instead of color, etc   Is this a  bug in the system update or is there some sort of setting that needs to be changed?

Vajrayogini
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
You can go to your text-to-speech settings and set it to English US.
0 Likes
Members_0mEQrxK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

That does not do it on my Samsung S20 FE. If I use the word colour or behaviour in a voice to text sentence then it spells it the British way but if I say the word all by itself it spells it the American way. I have all of my keyboard and voice settings set to American English. They need to fix this.

user4zn5neDpUU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

No matter what I do my speech to text uses British spelling instead of American spelling. It's set to American. I saw another post that syud use Google's speech to text instead but I don't know how to make it work on all the apps on my phone.

0 Likes
Solution
userOa9R4qcBAc
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20

Same problem.  "Do me a favour and tell me how many colours are in the centre."  I speak, that's what it writes.  Everything, everywhere, says "English (US)" in my settings.  I switched to Google voice typing and the problem went away.  

For others who find their way here: Settings -> General management -> Keyboard list and default
Make sure Google voice typing is "on"
Turn off "Samsung voice input."
Retry the above sentence somewhere, like in a Facebook post, then discard it.