Original topic:

Text messages still going to Samsung device

(Topic created: 09-27-2021 10:08 PM)
userahQDO8CGV6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Switched devices two days ago. Texts from android users still go to my old device (S20+) that was using Samsung messages as the default app. That device doesn't even have service to receive texts. What needs to be done to correct this?

19 Replies
userahQDO8CGV6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I've turned off the device.  Also uninstalled the Samsung Messages app.  Doesn't seem to matter.  It seems like having Android to Android conversations within the Messages app threw the communications to an external service, away from T-Mobile SMS.

0 Likes
Home_in_BKK
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20
Is your old device still on the WiFi? That maybe why it's get the message. I bet if you check device on your T-mobile account, it probably show your old device there. I would get the new SIM from T-mobile for your new device. When I update phone I update the SIM with T-mobile, no number change. It's Free if you go to T-mobile store. BTW I'm using Sprint/T-mobile
userahQDO8CGV6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

The old device is still on WiFi, but that doesn't explain why it's going to that device.  The new phone is also on the same network.  T-Mobile account shows the new phone as the device.  The SIM shouldn't have anything to do with it.  The new phone works just fine in regards to phone calls, internet and receiving texts from non-Android devices.

0 Likes
Home_in_BKK
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20
Is Google/Samsung account still on the old device? Try removing it.
0 Likes
Holmessr86
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
I believe it's related to the network, I had a similar situation. Did you activate the device on that same SIM card with tmobile?
0 Likes
userahQDO8CGV6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Yes, I did. 

0 Likes
Holmessr86
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
Try a few things. Reset your network settings. Sign out of Samsung, in settings click your name, scroll all the way down and sign out.. if chat service is enabled that can cause Android users to still have text sent to that phone bc it's MMS and uses wifi. And check your 'call and text on other devices' remove the old phone if it's listed there. Lastly, go to connections, mobile network, Access point name and reset to default. Go back click on network operators, take off select automatically and click any available network other than tmobile, then click back on tmobile. Keep me updated. Good luck.
0 Likes
userahQDO8CGV6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I just went in and reset the device completely (I have to send it to T-Mo anyway).  As soon as the reset started, I had somebody text me and it went through, but I want to test with the person I was having trouble with the last two days to verify it's fully fixed.  Will know more tomorrow.

The reset should have done all of the things you suggested, as it would remove the device completely from the network, as well as remove any sign-ins to various accounts.  

I really should have done it one by one, with tests, to figure out what was actually causing it.  But hopefully this is sufficient.

MrJell_Lee
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S20

Seems you've already tried some fixes on your own, but next time if any issue comes up you can try submitting an error report to Samsung Members soon after the issue occurs. They can't catch all the issues but they are quite good about software related issues as long as you provide details of the issue and submit a ticket right after the event. 

0 Likes
userahQDO8CGV6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

It seems that I have to delete conversations that were made on my s20+ with the messenger app. Conversations from my device before the s20+ work fine, both android and non-android. Any conversation that was imported to my new phone, that was s20+ and Samsung messenger didn't work. 

0 Likes