Original topic:

Tips For New Galaxy User

(Topic created on: 4/5/21 12:50 AM)
FANTASTICVOYAGE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

It was a difficult choice, but I made the decision to take a leap of faith and buy my first Galaxy. I went to Best Buy to look at some Galaxy S21's. But I disliked the camera cutout. And the dull colors were so lifeless. And most importantly, I absolutely hated the absence of expandable storage. So I decided to buy it's predecessor. Which at least comes in a somewhat attractive light blue and has expandable storage. And a much nicer looking camera cutout.

But I'm not that familiar with Samsung phones, so I would appreciate some tips from veteran Galaxy users. My phone will have a curved glass screen.  Should I get one of the more rigid glass protectors or just a thin film protector? If a thicker glass protector, how difficult is it to put a case over it? Since Samsung stupidly removed the headphone jack, which are the best adapters to get if I want to use the earphones from my last phone? Any micro SD cards better than others? Can I store games and music on it? Or just pictures? If I save pictures are they saved on the phone's storage and micro SD? Or just one? Where can I get an instruction manual if I don't have one? Since the phone supports 25 watt charging, if I use a stronger charger will it damage the phone? Would a 40 watt charger shorten the life of the battery? 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Mike9165
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Most cases I've used on the S7 Edge, S8 Plus and S10 Ultra have had problems with tempted glass screen protectors. One corner would always lift up, so would always wind up going with a film. Headphones, I use bluetooth. I've always used SanDisk sd cards, but Samsung are also good. You can use the sd card for wasn't personal files, pictures, videos, movies, music, documents etc. Apps and games use the internal storage. You can set the default location for pictures and videos in the camera app settings and default download location in your web browser settings. You can also use the file manager to move out copy files or whole folders, just like in Windows.
0 Likes
FrS10
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S20
-Samsung's own Evo series are good reliable microsd cards. (Don't be fooled by Sandisk's ads for way higher write speeds. Irl they're similar speed and quality to Samsung's.)

-You can put photos, videos, music, personal files & documents, backups, and downloads on the sd card. Some apps or games might let you install themselves to sd but it's a bad idea and will hurt performance.

-I use the stock screen protector plus the Spigen Thin Fit case and am happy with it.

I too got the S20 when I saw the S21's lack of expandable storage! Good choice!
0 Likes
FANTASTICVOYAGE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
  • It is very disappointing that without activating the phone or dowloading any apps, somehow someway the system memory already eats up 20 plus GB of storage. None of the reviews I read mentioned anything about that. I thought I was getting around 128 GB of storage. Not 104 GB. I knew the preinstalled apps and settings would take up a bit of storage, but nothing close to over 20 GB. The old Galaxy I have now wasn't robbed of so much storage when I got it. 
  • I have watched or read many reviews of  screen protectors. Unfortunately, it appears the curved glass causes problems preventing the edges from peeling up with many protectors. And the fingerprint sensor doesn't work well with almost all the glass protectors. 
  • Another thing I don't like is many protectors have an annoying slit/opening right above the front camera. Or an ugly hole for the fingerprint sensor. Can I use the phone without setting up any fingerprint security? I'm also having a tough time finding a case I like. So many cases look so boring or look ugly. I wanted something with some flair or pizzazz. Way too many cases annoyingly leave the buttons or bottom of the phone exposed. I don't want anything exposed except for the camera, port, and speakers. It's also very disappointing that the iPhone has way more of a selection of cases that the Galaxy does not. I found an Evutec carbon fiber case I liked for another phone. But it was mysteriously not made for the Galaxy. Good grief. I am leaning towards getting a Rhinoshield case with an awesome looking carbon fiber pattern on it. But they are shipped from Taiwan, and will probably take weeks to get it. It is very disappointing that Spigen, Speck, Otterbox, etc cases look so ugly or have no creativity.
0 Likes