cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Transferring SMS into Android Messages using Samsung Smart Switch

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I currently have a Galaxy S9 where I use Android Messages as my default SMS app, I just got a Galaxy S20 and I am trying to use Samsung Smart Switch to copy the SMS messages from Android Messages on the S9 into Android Messages on the S20. Android Messages is set as the default SMS app on both phones and they are both running Android 10. Smart Switch has worked to copy everything else great like Apps, settings pictures etc, except for this.

What happens is that the SMS show successfully copied, and they show up in the Samsung Messages app correctly but not in the Android Messages App. I tried to disable Samsung Messages but it doesn't seem like you can, best I seem to be able to do is to force stop it right before I try the copy of the SMS texts (disable option just says you can't do this). I also tried copying the actual Messages App itself using Smart Switch, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

The SMS data is being copied and is on my S20, but does anyone know of way to point Android Messages to where it is or to import it? If Smart Switch won't work for this, is there another recommended SMS transfer app to just do a one time copy of messages? I have been using a USBC to USBC cable to connect the two phones so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Transferring SMS into Android Messages using Samsung Smart Switch

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update on this, appears that the default SMS app just needed to be toggled back and forth, after I changed to something else and then back to Android Messages, now it is showing them all! Also RCS messages did seem to be imported as well, it appear to have converted them MMS messages? Either way it is looking good!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Rydah 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there @usergDD4XVvPMv, I hope you're doing well. 

Unfortunately, Samsung Smart Switch will only transfer SMS & MMS messages. I assume (and may be wrong) that you're attempting to transfer RCS messages.From what I've gathered online, RCS messages can be backed up using Androids built-in backup utility.

Please read more here: https://support.google.com/messages/thread/7932176?hl=en

This wouldn't be an issue with Samsungs Smart Switch but rather a Android/Google transfer issue. Fortunately it should work out for you.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So probably around 99% of the content in the Android messages on source phone are regular SMS and MMS, there are like one or two threads that are using the RCS which I don't really care about that much.

As I noted the issue isn't that the data doesn't transfer over because it does like all 10,000 messages, but the issue is that it is only seen to be accessible in the Samsung messages app and not Android Messages. So even though I've only been using Android messages on The Source phone smart switch only seems to put it into Samsung messages on the new phone.

So I did also read that exact thread that you linked however if you look further it does not show you how to actually accomplish what they are describing using the Google app backup, and then other threads seem to indicate it's only available for needed Google devices like the pixel, so I'm thinking the standard Google app data backup approach may not work for this on a Samsung.

Any other ideas or thoughts on how to transfer SMS into Android messages?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update on this, appears that the default SMS app just needed to be toggled back and forth, after I changed to something else and then back to Android Messages, now it is showing them all! Also RCS messages did seem to be imported as well, it appear to have converted them MMS messages? Either way it is looking good!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usergDD4XVvPMv 

Ok try this:

-Set your default messaging app to Samsung messages inside your S20 and completely uninstall Android messages from the S20

-Plug it into smart switch and restore from the Galaxy S9 backup

-Check to see that the messages has successfully copied over to the Samsung messages app

-If successful, now go ahead and download Android messages and set it to the default messages