Original topic:

Trouble taking unlocked S20 to another carrier

(Topic created on: 2/11/21 9:03 AM)
userpoWEeoD0hA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have a Galaxy S20 Ultra (G988U) that I had on verizon and want to move to Visible.  The phone is unlocked, which I have been able to verify by running a US Mobile Sim in it).  The problem is it wont see the network for visible.  I have tried two different already activated visible SIMs in the device.  The device sees the Sim.  In settings it clearly knows the SIM and its phone number,  It just doesnt see the visible network and wont join.  

I have been working with visible support but frankly I think they are missing something.  Is there something possibly in this verizon phone that is blocking the visible sim from doing its job?  Anyone have any thoughts here?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Options
Galaxy S20
not all sims are created equal and most are missing apn settings requiring you program them by hand or use a carrier app. I've been through this with my old note 10,
0 Likes
userpoWEeoD0hA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

The phone will not allow me to add APNs even at this point

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
you might need a new SIM card from your carrier then. they might have an apn lock in place on the SIM but that data might be corrupted. have you tried the SIM in like a friend's iPhone to replicate this? I'd get a new SIM to check or borrow a SIM from another mvno to verify.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
The problem is that carriers can push APN settings. They can flag a bit which forces connected devices to accept their settings. They can flag another bit which locks these settings (makes them "greyed out" to prevent user editing). And newer Android versions (7.0, 8.0, 8.1, etc) comply with these lockouts by default.
0 Likes